Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Restoration on a large scale "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The clock is known as "Gog and Megog" for the two main figures that strike the bells. The building is the Sir john Bennett Jewelery store. Originally built in England and was, I believe, five stories high, it now resides in Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan. On a couple of recent visits I noted it was getting a facelift.
This is all about the outward apearances and not the clockwork. I have yet to find out if the clockwork has undergone similar cleaning and overhaul.

This is how it looked last year.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
A close up of Gog and Megog.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
On my first visit there this spring it seemed Gog and Megog has stepped out.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The current occupant was not worried about hitting bells.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
On my next visit, the finished statues were on the ground and ready to be put in place.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
They used the crane to hoist the figures onto the platform in front of the alcove.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
starting to rise

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is one of the two angles on either side of the main figures. They also strike bells in the chiming of the clock.

At this point, I had to go. I will follow up with the completed fresh face of this building and clock on my next trip there.

Any other interesting public clocks you have pictures of? Please post.

Tom

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Tom,
These are some really great pictures!

Wow it looks like it's going to be a hum dinger when it's done.

Please promise that you will go back and get the new ones.

I was going to go downtown (DC) today and get some clock photos of some of the clocks I know there, but alas, schedules change, and I will have to wait until it's hot as "Blazes" out so I can suffer more.

Thank you again for the photos, very nice. Big Grin

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004