• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Terminology: Need help! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
We have an Arbor whose reduced diameter end sections are called pivots. We attach to the arbor a large gear called a wheel and a small gear called a pinion [Correct so far?]
What is the whole assembly called?

Posts: 9 | Location: Jerusalem, Israel | Registered: May 23, 2012
posted
I don't think there is a specific name for the assembly but ,in the case of watches, they are simply called "wheels".

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
All I have ever heard them referred to as 1 wheel, second wheel and so on up the line on the chime train or time side.

Interesting question though!!

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
posted
Me too. All I've ever heard is "The pivot on the second wheel arbor needs polishing" etc.. I've never considered a name for the whole assembly

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Reuven,

I would likely call the assembly a "gear train" or simply "train" in fact on a watch the plate over this assembly goes by the "train bridge" title so should think that follows.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I'm not sure Lindell, I always thought the assembly of All the wheels and arbors would constitute the "train".

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

You are right Michael, it looks like I should have read Reuven's question more carefully!

So now, let's see if I get it Roll Eyes this time, the correct term for what Reuven is asking may simply be "center wheel and pinion" then "third wheel and pinion" and so on. The time train which transmits torque to the escape wheel consists of a four-wheel multiplying train made up of barrel, center wheel and pinion, third wheel and pinion, fourth wheel and pinion then the escape wheel. When all that goes together it then becomes the "gear train" which is what I originally thought Reuven was asking about.

See what you think.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Yup! Thanks Lin