Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

STUMP THE CLOCK GUYS AN INERESTING MOVEMENT "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
This is just for fun can anyone determine the maker of this movement and what it goes in

(Hint it was made in the USA) I will provide more hints as this continues if required
Big Grin

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
How about a Herschede tall case clock with eight tubular bells.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
It looks German to me Rich, and that is about all i know.
Please tell us soon, i am curious now. Smile Wink

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
You can't put one past Tom he hit the nail on the head right down to the tubular chimes. Made in Ohio. Does some one else know the city?

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Believe this "Boiler" was made in Cincinnati, Ohio. Any idea how much the beast weighs????

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
posted
Thanks guys for not making me wait long.About how old is this movement Rich?

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
My answer is: Herschede with NINE tubular bells. (Tom missed the hour strike hammer on the right, it is not in line with the chime tube hammers). Also, it was probably made after 1960, so it would have been made in Starkville, Mississippi. Is the serial number above 605,000?

Andy Big Grin

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Andy,
I can not give you the serial number I don't have the clock. I can say that I was told it was made in Cinci. As to the gong being a tube I was told that this one was a traditional gong. It may have been changed but it is a gong. I took the pictures but do not have access to the case or the movement any more. Thanks for responding.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy, I knew it was supposed to be a nine tube, but , as you said, I missed the ninth hammer. All of those I have worked on have been nine tube.

Good catch!!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I wonder HOW they mounted a gong on it instead of the original chime tube, and why? Where was the gong attached? The hammer is pretty far from the case, and there is usually glass on the side anyway.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Andy, I don't know. As I said I don't have the clock. I took the picture at a local clock shop that I do watch work for. The information came from them. They were working on the movement but did not have the case in the shop.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Andy,
I checked with the clock shop and I had my information wrong. The owner told me it was a 9 tube. I got my original information from one of the repairman. I stand corrected. I think the movement is wonderful. Thank you all for your comments.
Rich

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155