• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

One of my German clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Since some German clocks were shown in the Mission clock thread, thought I'd start another for this clock. During my Army career, I was fortunate to spend two tours in Germany. Brought back a number of clocks. A few of these walked out several years ago with my ex-wife, but that is another story. The one that I have pictured here I acquired in Frankfurt, Germany in 1971. As I speak German and was assigned to the Frankfurt Housing Directorate, I was given the mission to be the coordinator at the Frankfurt City Dump during Army housing area cleanup in 1971. While at the dump that day, an old German gentleman drove in in his BMW, and began unloading trash from his trunk. Among the trash was this clock. I salvaged it from him just as he was about to pitch it over the edge into the dump. When I asked him about it, he said it was old and his wife was tired of it hanging around. I asked him what he wanted for it and he smiled and gave it to me.

The case was covered with grime as if the clock had hung in a shop or garage for a long period of time. The key was with the clock. After a case cleaning--it did not need refinished, I hung it and it took off. I had it cleaned and oiled about three years later. There are several scratches on the silvered dial. It has a coil chime for chime and strike, and has an eight day movement. I can find no marking on the case or movement as to a maker.

Tom

Picture of Justin J. Miller
posted
You did a great job cleaning her up!

Looks sharp!

Justin

Posts: 44 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: February 11, 2005
posted
I know you said it was not signed but are there
any markings at all on the movement or case?

posted
Hi Justin, There are no marks on the case. I haven't pulled the dial in a long time, so am unsure of any marks on the movement. I know that I looked for a maker once, but could'nt find anything definitive.

Tom

posted
Well it is a nice example of a German box clock!

I would say C. 1910

I really like the silver... and to think it was going to be tossed!

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Nice clock Tom. A great thread to start!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom,

Your clock appears to be very similar to a few examples made by HAC ( Hamberg American Clock Company) that were featured in a 1910 catalogue.
I attach a photo scan from a page in that catalogue showing three such clocks.

The trademark used by HAC is a pair of crossed arrow. Presence of this logo on any part of your clock ( movement, gong-mounting, case ) would provide positive proof of its HAC origin.

Mun C.W.

Posts: 15 | Location: Republic of Singapore | Registered: October 13, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Tom, does the gong have a maker's mark on it like 'Divina'?...if so, 'tis likely a Mauthe...my guess from outward appearances...altho' Mun could be right if the mounting has the HAC trademark...hmmm, the dial looks very 'Junghans-like'; how's that for hedging... Smile

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Tom i am glad you got the clock before it was tossed.Very nice clock , looks great, i love those old box clocks with the thick beveled glass.
Interesting thread too.Maybe i will post another German clock here also.
Great pictures. Smile

posted
Hi, You guys are great. you prompted me to dig into the clock, so I pulled the movement. As per the picture, guess what I found on the movement. Mun, you were right on the mark. Also Jim C., the same crossed arrows are on the divina. I just never really knew what I was looking at.

Thanks so much to all. Now I know that I have an HAC c 1910. Oh, if it could only tell me what it was like to go through the bombing in Frankfurt and survive.

Tom