• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WESTERN UNION WALL CLOCK "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I AM TRYING TO LOCATE SOME INFORMATION ABOUT A WESTERN UNION WALL CLOCK I INHEREITED FROM MY FATHER. THE ONLY INFO I HAVE IS ABOUT 3'X 3' SOLID OAK CASE.INFO ON INSIDE TAG WR JONES/HAYNESBORO/VA 29-14 MIN 188139 AND STAMPED IN THE WOOD IS 437. ON THE FACE IT HAS OFFICE TIME WESTERN UNION SELF WINDING CLOCK CO. OF NY.ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Posts: 1 | Location: Waynesboro, Virginia USA | Registered: September 01, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bekky,
Welcome to IHC. i don't have the info on Western Union clocks on hand, but I have a friend who knows about them and will see what he can offer.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Bekky!

Here is what little I know to get us started...

These show up at marts every now and then, there was a big Western Union Clock at Great Lakes last fall. Some time back I was sent images of two examples the same seller was interested in parting with. The smaller of those was probably along the lines of Bekky's clock, but unfortunately it looks like I did not retain images of that particular one.

However, below you will see the larger one. If I recall correctly both were made by the "Self-Winding Clock Company" and employed a battery for motorized winding. They were used by Western Union into the 1970s. The big one you see below was a nearly 6 foot high wall clock that received its time signal on the Western Union telegraph lines.

I'm sure others will fill in the blanks of this story. Wink

Big Western Union wall clock...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Dial of the larger clock close-up...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002