Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

US Clock Company of Illinois? Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello all:
Here is another mystery clock from my dad's collection.
He has identified it as a US Clock Co. of Illinois clock. The movement is marked.
I have been trying to learn about the maker and this model, in particular.
The only lead is a US Clock Co of New York which seems to have made mostly weight clocks early in 1800. The company was at Cortland Street and may have moved to Illinois with C. Jerome as its superintendent for a very short time. I don't know what the name of the company was after moving to Illinois.
I have never seen another clock even similar to this one. The dial has been replaced and there is a decal on the glass.
Does anyone know more about it?
Thanks
Pattye

US Clock Company Clock

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Pattye,
I've heard of a clock company that was on "Cortland street", but I don't remember what the name was. I don't think it was US, but one of the big companies maybe.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Pattye,
According to Spittlers & Bailey:

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
There are two Bulletin references to U.S. Clock Co.
One in whole # 298, the other seen below in Whole #287, December 1993.

What does your movement look like. This one has a unique shape.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Florence Kroeber was at # 8 Cortland St and George A. Jones was at # 5 & 6 Cortland St in N.Y.

Posts: 25 | Location: Centereach, New York, USA | Registered: May 18, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Thanks Jack,

I knew I heard of a clock company on Cortland st.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Hello again:

Thanks so much for the responses and the valuable information.

So--Cortlandt Street must have been clock haven.
With United States Clock Co. at #18 and others there also.

Tom, my movement has the intertwined U and S.
There is no blue label. I don't remember a distinctively shaped movement but will check that out soon. Will keep you posted.

Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
posted
Well, you folks were asking for activity so I resurrected some old questions. Recently I saw a very similar case attributed to Jerome. So--I feel pretty sure he had something to do with this one.
I guess the bottom line is that I like it!
Pattye