Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What Case/Have Clock movement "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Hi All,
You should first know, that I know NOTHING of clocks. However, I have a movement from a clock that was cased, that fell on a tile floor, and went into a million pieces, years ago. It was given to me by a friend that was moving. It did work at the time, and may still work. It's packed away now, and I have not touched it since then, over 10 years ago.

What should I do with the movement, and do they sell cases for clocks like they do for watches?

The clock looked like dark wood but looked redish in color had glass on the sides, maybe 2-3 inches wide and 12 inches? long, and of course, on the front. It had spindles on the top, and I have the key for it too.

Now, I'm sure you want details of the movement, but it's packed in my garage on my property, and I can't get it for a few weeks.

Can someone tell me if cases are available for clocks like they are for watches?

I'm going to look through the clocks here, and see if there's a case here that looks like mine did.

The clock works were screwed to the back wooden plate. Or the back of the clock.
Thank you

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sheila,
There are a couple of ways to go here.
If it was an antique clock, you sometimes come across empty cases at pretty good prices.

More likely, however, is a new case. There are clock cases available from craft outlets, and plenty of plans for making cases. If it screwed to the back, then it was not a "black mantle" style. The movements in those screw to the front of the case.

It could be for a short mantle clock, or a taller kitchen style clock.

Once we see the movement and the pendulum we can go a lot quicker to determine the next move.

Have fun.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Since the clock had glass inserts in the side about two inches wide and was hanging on the wall, it could have been a small German regulator or a free-swinger/open pendulum. It's unfortunate the case bits weren't saved. Sometimes they split at the glued joints and can be re-glued and replacing the glass is no problem; getting new glass cut to fit is available from most glass shops.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
John,
Good call on the clock being German. I was in too much of a hurry and totally missed the part of the description about the glass. Your observations are right on. I agree with them. Also about old wood splitting at the glue joints. A few months ago I got an old mission chair. It was good for about two days when I found myself on the floor. The old glue just gave out. I took the whole thing apart and reglued it. Also re-upholstered it while it was apart.

Stephanie, Do you remember if the dial was porcelain? Do you have the dial? Dials and movements in those clocks were pretty much a matched set. There were many different movements used and the dial holes on one never seem to match the holes on the others. Pendulums frequently had a round porcelain insert with "R A" on it.

Now you have to dig through the garage to find it! Big Grin

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Thank you guys.

Now, This is SOMETHING like the one I'm talking about. This one reminds me of it.
It did have 2 of the spindles on either side of the top spindle, on the corners, and I think it had 2 of them on the bottom too.
The dial is metal and has two key holes, but I don't remember if they were in the same place as these.
The top is not thick like this one, and but the wood was curved like these, just not exact.

Sheila

clockw

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004