Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mystery ancient tower clock ID help needed. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Michael Gorham
posted
Any idea where and/or who might have made this kit form tower clock please? The frame is approximately 30" long by 2' high and the pendulum is a monster 6' long and weighs around 50 lbs!

Posts: 79 | Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana in the USA  | Registered: March 12, 2009
posted
I was thinking of assembling it but with only one working arm, I think I'll pass!

Posts: 79 | Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana in the USA  | Registered: March 12, 2009
posted
On the other hand, a little superglue and a bit of string?

posted
More bits

posted
The monster pendulum

posted
I hope everything's there.

posted
Last picture

Life Member
posted
Hi Michael.

I have no idea who made your clock but you must get it going. I always thought it would be cool to have a tower clock suspended off a second story wall on my house in the back yard. It would "TELL" you the time. If you think about the possibilities, you might get the bug to restore this beauty.
Good luck.

Posts: 60 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: April 13, 2009
posted
Hi Dave, I don't know where you live but I am an Englishman in an Indiana cornfield!

Any time you want to, you can pop over to work on it? :-)

Seriously, I may do some basic work on it but I'm severely disabled so I'll probably just ebay it and let someone else enjoy it.

I too would love to have it as a feature on our house.

posted
GREETINGS MICHAEL, YOU HAVE A NICE PROJECT THERE, IT APPEARS THAT ALL THE IMPORTANT PARTS ARE THERE. IF YOU HAVE THE PENDULUM THAT IS A BIG PLUS. IT MAY BE CIRCA EARLY 1800'S. I HAVE NO IDEA WHO MADE THE MOVEMENT AFTER IT IS CLEANED A MARK OR LOGO COULD APPEAR. ANY WAY YOU MADE A GOOD INVESTMENT. TAKE CARE. EDDIE

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Thanks Eddie, we'll see. It's just stuck up in the barn waiting for me to play with it. And with the temperature at 18 right now it won't be today! I have heating/cooling up there but it takes a while to heat it.

I'm wondering if the tower clock might be English?

posted
GREETINGS MICHAEL, I BELIEVE IT COULD BE ENGLISH ALSO I THINK IT IS A SINGLE DIAL MOVEMENT. I SEE YOU HAVE 1 HAND IT LOOKS LIKE AN HOUR HAND. THE MOVEMENT MIGHT HAVE HAD A REMONTOIR IF IT DID THAT WOULD HAVE TO BE CAREFULLY LOOKED AT AS TO HOW IT WORKED. THE ESCAPEMENT IS NOT A GRAVITY ESCAPEMENT. DO YOU HAVE THE ANCHOR AND PALLETS? TAKE CARE. EDDIE

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008