Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Portrait Pendulum "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
This just came in today, in a Gilbert Steamer No. 46...I don't remember seeing one before.

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Boy that is a beauty Greg. I have seen only one before. I don't know how common they are, but that is a great example. It looks to be in great condition. I hope someone has some more info on these. And more examples. Thanks for posting that one.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I have never seen a portrait pendulum before.Very nice and looks to be in great shape.Is this something seen in clock books, in the old advertising?

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
A couple of examples are shown in Tran's "Gibert Book". I haven't looked in the others.

The clock is "revered" by its owners, and have taken care of the clock on a whole.

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Greg,
I looked in the Gilbert book, as you suggested. I find it curious that such a stunning pendulum was offered on some pretty mundane clocks. On the parts page it was listed as just another pendulum choice.

I wonder if these were stock pictures, and an assortment were available, or were they truly portraits commissioned by wealthy purchasers.

Anybody know more about these?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I have seen several different "ladies" in the portait pendulums over the years and do believe they were the most common from Gilbert.Here is one on a clock that is in my collection,don't mind the cobwebs and dust,this one is on a shelf above a sliding glass door and does not get dusted around as often.The pendulum is the same shape as Greg's,you can see the "lady through the glass.This one and all I have seen are a print and not an actual picture.Kent

Posts: 22 | Location: Camdenton, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: February 19, 2005
posted
Here is one more portrait pendulum

Jack

Portrait pend.

Posts: 25 | Location: Centereach, New York, USA | Registered: May 18, 2003
posted
And another one. I also found it strange that they were offered on simple pressed oak cases, I would have thought they would be on a walnut parlor clock. I have a third one but the picture is of a 1920's flapper girl. The print certainly looks original but if it is it would have to be at the very end of the run for these type of clocks.

Portrait pend.

Posts: 25 | Location: Centereach, New York, USA | Registered: May 18, 2003
posted
There was a time when famous actors and opera singers were highly regarded and it was not uncommon to have large lithograph portraits hanging in 'all the better' homes. Could these portrait pendulums be a part of that 'fad'?

When we had our 'antique' home, we had an old portrait hanging of Jenny Lind and another of a famous child actor (about 10 or 12 years old at the time of the protrait) whose name escapes me at the moment. There was a feature on PBS about 15 years ago on the actor.

Does the clock have a name on the clock paper that might yield a clue?

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004