Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bolshevik Timer "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I am not sure what this is for, does anyone have any clues? It has on the dial "Made Specially for the Bolshevik". It has a 14 hour countdown timer, then it vibrates. Any information on this one??????

Andy

Bolshevic Timer front

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Rear view.

Bolshevik Rear

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
What is the writing just above the cannon pinion?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
This is a neat clock, i would guess a aircraft clock, but i am guessing.
Andy where did you find this one, quite unusual.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Now that is a curious timer. It looks like a US made alarm clock from the back, except for the red safety warning tag. I would suppose this timer may have been part of a detonator for explosives. Unfortunately, I can’t read the other writing on the dial.

The 1918 patent date on the back coupled with made for the Bolshevik reference provides some grounds for speculation. As is well known, the Bolsheviks took control of Russia in 1917. A civil war existed into the early 1920's with the Bolsheviks, known as the “Reds” against the Imperialists, known as the “Whites.” Back in those early days - pre-Stalin - some Americans viewed the Bolsheviks as heroes for the common man, while other Americans condemned them as godless anarchists.

There is another possibility, that is if “the Bolshevik” was a stage name for someone like a prize fighter?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I'll have to check on it when I get home, but I think the writing on the dial has to do with setting it outside the red "danger" area. There is a 1918 patent date on the back. I think the safety notice on the back has to do with a bar that was across the back for some reason, so the back couldn't be removed, possibly? I haven't had it apart, but the bar is missing. The only mounting type holes I can see are on the back outside rim. It may have had something that went inside these holes. When a normal alarm would sound, it just buzzes like it is doing something, but I don't know what. Maybe something was turned, and they went in these holes.

Andy

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I took the front cover off, and the movement is marked Waterbury. On the dial, it gives instructions to only turn it one way, and to not set within the area marked in red. There is an alarm mechanism, but no hammer. If it was originally an alarm, I am not sure if it just hit the side or what. I think that would just make a dead thud sound.

Andy

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
I looked in Tran's Waterbury book, and found nothing about this clock.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002