Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Family owned Seth Thomas clocks - Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1550
posted
Hello all,

This is my first time posting in the Clock discussion pages as I am usualy in the Military watch forum but I have some questions on two Seth Thomas clocks that have been in my wife's family for years. My wife is not really the watch or clock enthusiest but I being one of course has sprung some questions.

There are two clocks: One is a wall mounted "school clock" looking piece. It is about 24 inches tall and 16 inches at it's widest. Key wound of course.

The other is a mantle clock about 13 inches tall and 9 inches wide. I have atatched photos of both. What I am looking for are questions about their age and value plus any more information someone may have. Please let me know if more photos are needed. Thank you all and have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day! Regards, M

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
IHC Member 1550
posted
Seth Thomas mark on dial

IHC Member 1550
posted
Instructions behind the pendulum.

IHC Member 1550
posted
Mantle clock

IHC Member 1550
posted
Photo of rear

IHC Member 1550
posted
close up of dial mark

IHC Member 1550
posted
close up of "movement" mark

posted
Michael,

Neat clocks and were big volume sellers in their day. The one is a 12 in drop octagon and should have a 12 inch dial. The other is a plain jane shelf clock.

My guess as to value is that it is minimal and in their present condition would not retail for much more than the cost of servicing or restoring.

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
Michael, The "12 in. drop Octagon" as Bill said was a huge seller from around 1924.Strange that this particular clock was not made in "strike" but time only. Maybe an economy model? Lots of people still want them and they are often copied by the korean clock companies.
The mantle clock was their "Tory" model and shows from the 1909 catolog. Yours looks to be in nice condition. If it were mine I'd clean it a little and put it back on the mantle.
As Bill said probably not a great deal of value in either but both worth the effort of repairing and putting back into service if you like clocks. If you don't you can sent either or both to me. Happy Thanksgiving, Mike

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
IHC Member 1550
posted
Hello Bill and Michael,

Thank you very much for the information regarding these clocks. I had no idea they were from that time period. They have been in my wife's family probably since new so I think we will hold on to them. We have had them serviced and they do perform fine and keep time. Thank you again. Happy Thanksgiving

posted
Hello Michael, sorry this is a little lat but I'm new to this site. I collect Seth Thomas Mantel clocks. My Duy Ly books show your S.T. Mantel Clock as a Troy-1913 and the 2005 price sheet list it for $550

Your Drop Octagon looks like the 1160 in the Duy Ly books and showing a 1880 date. The 2005 price sheet show that the 1160 came as a time & strike or time only like yours. The time only show a $400 price. Nice clocks, and worth taking care of. For me most of my clocks and watches have a book value and I would sell them for book give or take depending on the piece but I have a couple with family history and I consider them priceless. Not too many collectors have pieces that have been in the family since new.

Posts: 94 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: February 21, 2012
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Fully agree with you Richard on the last sentence
pricless.
Btw nice clocks.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Michael,

Just a little show and tell. Your ST regulator is just like mine except for the Arabic numbers. 24x16 with a 7.5" short drop.

Mine is walnut and it was painted a lime green when I found it at an antique show under a guys table. Once stripped it was really nice.

It had come out of the Scandinavian Hall in Butte, Mt.
That made for some good history for me.

It has winding stops so it can't be wound to tight also.

Its a great timekeeper!!

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007