Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Ha ha, "Nobody buys a Swiss watch to find out what time it is"

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
I agree with you all my Swiss watches I have are for one purpose only to tell time.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Same here, Peter!

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
My wife bought an Apple iwatch last week. She ran out of power late last night and asked me what time it was. I looked at my Swiss made Ball Automatic Trainmaster and told her.

Posts: 109 | Location: Livermore, California in the USA | Registered: August 05, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
The article omits one tiny detail: Good Swiss mechanical watches can be expected to last and remain desirable for generations, not true for Chinese watches. I went to wind and wear my Russian manual wind Vostok this weekend. When I saw that the dial had somehow come loose and rotated so that the 12 was now at 2, I wasn't too surprised considering the fact that it's a pretty junky watch. If my Speedmaster ever did something like this, I'd be shocked and horrified!

It's too bad that the Swiss government will allow the Swatch Group to dominate the market. Perhaps Swatch has somehow persuaded them to do so?

There's actually no practical comparison that can be made between the current state of the Swiss luxury watch industry ....and anything else ....anywhere on the planet; therein lies the high value.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 2030
posted
The ETA movements may be difficult to get if they limit export as the article says.
Watch builders like Copa could use this for marketing if it is legal.
I am a real el cheapo and like informing people who ask about my new Tissot: it has a very similar movement to the Roley Poley for 1/10 the cost.
Just my 0.002
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Kind of like my 2001 Gruen 'Legacy' model. It contains a 2824-2 ETA 25j automatic movement, same as found in high end Tag's.

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
NOT Swiss.

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
what did you expect from drunk ruskies manufacturing under communist regime?
but I bet ya u can't kill the movement

Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
I have a nice Eta movement (251.272)with a carbon 3D face for sale in a Movado Vizio. Please see in the auction.

Posts: 345 | Location: Racine, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2010
IHC Member 2030
posted
Peter it seems like it takes one to know one.

Nastrovya

Nostrovia is a miss-pronunciation of Russian word Na Zdorovie (На здоровье) which is traditionally used as a common toast meaning To good health or simply Cheers.

Please dont take attempts at humor in any way other than they are meant.
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
its fine with me as we say nice driveway= Na Zdorovie here in AZ