Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The Bulova Lone Eagle Story "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
The Bulova Lone Eagle Story

I've just finish writing an article on the legendary 1927 Bulova Lone Eagle. I'd love to post it here but it has a few images in it. If anyone knows how I can post HTML code please advise.

Please have a read and let me know your comments. I figure this forum is the best place to extract real information about any watch, in particular those that have a very interesting history.

Finding information about this particular watch has become my 'Holy Grail'

I'd appreciate any help in putting together the 'real story'.

-Stephen.

1927 Bulova Lone Eagle

Posts: 97 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: April 28, 2007
posted

Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Very interesting article, and very timely for me.

I just acquired two old Bulova watches. I think they are 50s vintage, and one runs very well and the the other needs some work. I'll have to take some photos and see if anybody can identify them.

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
posted
Interesting topic, Stephen

"...they may have decided to vary the actual design to resemble that of a Art Deco style eagles head"

I'm having a hard time seeing an Art Deco style eagle's head in that design.

Posts: 746 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: December 25, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Glyn, I sure see the eagle -- four of them, in fact. You might have an easier time visualizing them if the watch were rotate 90 degrees. Then you would see eagle heads, beak out, flying off the right and left ends of the bezel, and an upside down pair on the opposite side of the bezel. The strap lugs are anchored between a pair of beaks.

To be fair, I don't know that I would have seen a lone eagle or even four lone eagles without the clue that they were there.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
quote:
To be fair, I don't know that I would have seen a lone eagle or even four lone eagles without the clue that they were there.

So, I am not alone ... There is safety in numbers Wink

Posts: 746 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: December 25, 2003
posted
I can see how at first it doesn't jump out at you, believe me I have worn this watch day in and out for the past 2 yeras and it was only recently that it hit me when trying to figure out why the design changed.

Here a few eagle head samples to show what I mean. Don't forget this is an 'art deco' style design and is a great symbol for the Lone Eagle.

Bulova 1927

posted
I didn't notice this post earlier. I think you may be on to something. Nice presentation!
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
This makes for someintresting reading/viewing, a Lone Eagle clone, but made before?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&it...=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

nice, but I know which I'd prefer to own!

Posts: 106 | Location: Widnes, United Kingdom | Registered: April 02, 2008
posted
Actually the original Lone Eagle design came from the Conqueror model which Bulova sold in 1926 (possibly earlier)and 1927. They then re-badge it as the Lone Eagle.

1111926 Bulova Conqueror

posted
Just found this, if not the same, certainly very similar to the Benrus watch,

But this time on a 6 jewel Banner mechanism, maybe this is generic case that the Benrus/Banner have been rehoused into? If so that means all bets are off regarding age of the design.

Also:-

Mechanism has that odd Space invader shaped mark for 1930 (and 1940), possibly a recasing of an old mechanism. Or it could be a 1933/34 Lone Eagle design from 1930?

Or another example of Bulova's flippant regard for model names!

edited to add, hmm... just looking at the two pictures side to side, the stepping is rather different.

in fact this (rather battered) Westfield watch is
far more like the Lone Eagle.

Another one on my to do list!

posted
Slight update to the last post, I've spotted another watch similar to the "Lone Eagle styleé"

This time with an Elgin movement, so it looks like my belief that it was a replacement case has been confirmed.

And having a good look at

it's probably from 1940, not 30, partly because it feels more of that vintage, as it's also got the date stamp for 39 on it, as well!

posted
I agree, this case was very popular in both yellow/white gold filled and also nickel plate. It dates from around the mid to late 20s and was either a source of inspiration for the Bulova Conqueror/Lone Eagle design or was inspired from that design.

It certainly has a classic art deco look.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Stephen.

posted

A rather more blatent clone of the Lone Eagle (III) design! The benrus looks and feels cheaper, the banding down the side is less intricate, although it is rolled white gold as well. The Bulova is in pretty good shape, other than the er... obvious!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Interesting reading here, I do not know much about wrist watches, I wondered if you guys could tell me more about this one I have. It belonged to my wifes grandfather but I have no idea of the age of the watch. I thought it looked similar to some of the photos you have posted.

Thanks
Tom

Bulova

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Hi Tom and thanks for sharing your watch. Its a 1934 American Clipper. 10AE USA made movement.

Its always nice to have one from a family member.

Stephen
myBulova.com

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Stephan

Thanks for the info on my watch, it keeps time well but it hasn't been serviced since who knows when. I have cleaned a few watches but have not tried this one. I have three other Bulova's from the same family member but they are not similar to this one.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007