• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Frankenwatch! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Sometimes I can hardly believe what some people do to watches. The case is the Hastings and the dial is from a Meadowbrook. Eek

Posts: 113 | Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
posted
The really sad part is to think about what happened to the Meadowbrook... likely melted down for scrap.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
I love when I see these obvious ones on Ebay... and the seller INSISTS they are all original.

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
posted
The seller probably thinks, "Well, they're all original Hamilton parts.... so it must be an original watch!". That's, of course, if he knows what he's selling.

Posts: 95 | Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida USA | Registered: January 16, 2006
posted
Wow, someone paid $85 for that monstrocity. Must've needed the dial or case. I'd hate to think it would actually be worn as is. Eek

Posts: 113 | Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
The buyer emailed me yesterday to inquire about having me restore it. When I opened the link he sent and saw the watch I found myself dreading writing a reply. I told him the situation in great detail. It turns out he collects some watches, mostly Elgin, and didn't realize this wasn't just a matter of a poorly refinished dial. He's sanguine about it, chalking it up to the cost of experience. As I told him, it's not a total loss -- an exploding numeral Meadowbrook dial would add value to an applied-numeral Meadowbrook. Not a bad part to have in the drawer, if rather an expensive one.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005