Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Flintridge: Rare & Unusual "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Thank you all. This has been an interesting, highly educational thread. It has had over 625 views (Ok, I've looked alot!). "What watch are you wearing today", "Service Award Watches", and "To redial or Not", are other discussions that have achieved this level of interest and participation.

Rene's research suggests that there were 562 made in yellow gold, and 447 in white gold. Most had the 897 movement. Some had the 979 movement at a premium price. To that end, My hope is that Bryan/Will/Rene might provide a summary or concluding remarkes. I still don't understand the bezel issue...

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
It is not clear from the above posts ---

1) how does the bezel fit, if present ? Is it simply missing from those without ?

2) how does the crystal fit in either version ?
Does it differ between those with and those without bezel ?

Dan (my first post)

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Dan,

The yellow example that I posted photo's of has that cushion shape bezel. It fits snugly into the opening surrounding the dial, and there is indeed a small, circular notch that guides the correct placement. The crystal is attached via glue onto the inside rim of the bezel.

The white example that does not have the conventional cushion shape bezel has it's crystal glued onto the opening above the dial. It is not glued onto the dial. There is no evidence in this example that the notch that is pictured in Bryan's example, was present at one point and then filed off.

Did Hamilton make 2 variations of the Flintridge? I have no firm answer. The fact that several examples are know to exist "without bezel", it seems possible.

Perhaps Bryan, Mark, Rene or Will can add a final answer.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

posted
About four years ago, I found a Flintridge in London, of all places. It was owned by a dealer who I would see at a couple of the major antique markets. There was only one problem---he wanted to keep it. I have visited him every year and tried to talk or cajole him out of it. Every year I made him promise that if he was ever going to sell it that he would give me a first refusal.

This year, about a week before my annual visit he gave me a call and let me know that he was ready to sell. I have since learned that he needed the money for a Patek. Well, cutting to the chase, I have been home a couple of hours, and have been admiring my Flintridge: w/bezel, yellow gold, 979-F, and a great original dial with sub-secs. It also has a three page biography of the USN Admiral who owned it and whose name is engraved on the back--not on the filp lid.

I do have a problem however that maybe someone can help with. The opening mechanism doesn't open the watch very far, and it doesn't set back down on the watch very well. Has anyone tinkered with the mechanism, and have you learned anything about how it works and/or how it can be made to operate "right"? I can't even tell if it has a spring or whatever. Having never had one before, I have nothing to compare it to. I'm too tired now to take it apart, but figured that if I can get some info first it might make it easier.

Posts: 2 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA | Registered: January 06, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Greg, The Flintridge is a horrible watch...a total disaster. It is absurd to think that you need 2 hands to look at the time. No wonder few were sold. I hope you didn't pay too much. (I'm teasing, of course)

Now....back on planet earth...I don't know anything about the mechanism. As the pictures in this thread will demonstrate, it seems like the Flintridge lid does not open to a 90 degree angle.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the real experts will share.

When you sell....call me last.....

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is another example of the Flintridge. 14K white gold. Unengraved cover and back. The hinge on the cover was evidently broken at some point in time. Also the button that one pushes to open the cover is missing. Still, it is an interesting example.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Note "Patent Applied For"

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Bill.

What an amazing thread.

What a super Hamilton! Did not know existed!

Do you now have a small collection of these "Flintridge" Hamilton's? All the posts?

Keep up the good work, such fine examples!

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Bill, you've cornered the market on these... this one looks really clean. I'm sure you'll have it reassembled in no time.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004