Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Just got a Omega Speedmaster "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Well I have been wanting a Omega Speedmaster for some time and had to sell a few out of the collection at the last mart mainly the new stuff that I never use just to have the funds to buy one I like the older stuff better.From now on vintage only.I got a Omega MK II with the 861 movement cir.1969 I think.I like the wind up's saw a few auto's but that was not what I was looking for.Here is a shot seller's photo.When I get it I will post better photo's.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Very nice!! Lucky you !

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
posted
Bill my dad live's in Ennis Montana near Bozman.I own some property out side of Ennis when the House's prices get better plan to sell the house in calif and build one in Montana went to a meeting in Bozman there once a few years ago bought a Kroeber clock I guess they only meet once a year I planed my visit to see the oldman around it was a good meeting.
Mike

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Member 935
posted
Mike, the desirableness of this model will grow on you and you will be looking to acquire other versions, I can assure you. I first held back because of the manual wind,but now it is an act of joy to wind my Speedy 3570.50. Enjoy your Speedy and wear it in good health.

Posts: 175 | Location: Davis, California USA | Registered: March 10, 2007
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Mike,
Ennis is a nice area. Wide open spaces and the air is always clean and its recycled frequently also, with more just like it. And you will be very close to Yellowstone Nat. Park, so you will be able to pick your time for outings there. Be sure and invest in a nice fly rod also. I hope the housing prices come up soon.!!
I don't belong to NAWCC anymore, as I get more pleasure from IHC 185 for a lot less $$$$.
I can dream about owning an Omega like yours anyway. Nice watch....!

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Coincidentally, I have my own Speedmaster story...and a very happy one at that!
HERE

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
It came today and for a watch made in 1970 it's in great shape.

It is a good size watch here it is next to my Tudor.From looking on the net it even has the original bracelet the new MK II bracelets you get from Otto Frie are differnt today.I seen a few on the net with this type of bracelet.

posted
Very nice timepiece Mike, I´m on the lookout for an affordable cal 321 Speedmaster.

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
posted
The 321 are a little more rare the the 861 movement's I hope you find one for a good price I would not mind one in my collection.

posted
Older is better than new here. I would not buy ANY Omega chronograph with a pop-off case back. I would not pay big money for a watch whose case back is held on by a thin nylon gasket. Should anything happen to the gasket and it becomes "discontinued" the case is worthless. One would think that for a several thousand dollar watch they would provide a case back with a nicely machined screw back case. I do prefer the older Omega 861.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
posted
The Cal 861 which was the successor to the Cal 321, isn´t the watch which is being sought after by the "hard core" collector. The cal 321 was the watch which went to the moon, making it more desireable!

posted
There is a differance between the cal.321 and the cal.861 the 321 has more parts I read that some were they did the switch to the 861 less parts less maintenance and and more easy to service if I remember right or less ware to the parts.

posted
Here is a good site on the differnce between the 321 and 861 Chuck Maddox did a great job at this site I read some were he passed away he sure had a lot of knowlage on chrographs.
http://www.chronomaddox.com/mo..._cal_background.html

posted
Mike, did you know that there were transitional Speedmaster watches out there, when Omega stopped the cal. 321, some of the first Cal. 861 also used parts of the Cal 321(i.e.dials).
Look here; Transitional
and here; Transitional 2

posted
Werner could not see transitional 2 it said I need a pass word.

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Here's another great source of speedmaster information HERE. I have owned both 321 & 1861 both are extremely good movements, both reliable and very accurate.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
Mike, just register, its a place with a wealth of information and very freindly people. Dont´t be afraid to write, nearly everyone speaks English. If you can´t read German, then use the Google translator!

posted
Thanks for the link William, very good, It´s new to me, I didn´t know it beforehand.

IHC Member 525
posted
I`d seen the Speedmaster model in Omega catalogues & in jewellers display windows & thought what a fabulous timepiece - if its good enough to go to the moon, its good enough for me.
I bought one which cost £58-10s after discount (about $140 in those days)which was a lot of money in 1969, especially to spend on a watch & this was a year before I got married, so it was a question of `now or never` ( bless her )
I remember the watch was accurate to a couple of seconds a day but it was not waterproof & had to be returned to Omega dealers for checks.
The original tachymetre bezel , which I still have, was changed for a decimal one which I thought would be more useful.
Since retiring a few years ago I tend not to wear any timepieces & so the Speedmaster was passed over to my eldest son - he has a chunky Seiko quartz which gains a few seconds a year ! I guess the Speedmaster will spend much of its time in its box.

Posts: 106 | Location: North Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: May 05, 2005
IHC Member 525
posted
And here is the receipt From April 1969

Posts: 106 | Location: North Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: May 05, 2005
posted
Congratulations, what a marvelous story and thanks for letting us in on it Derek.
Passing down from father to son is what it´s all about.
He should disregard his quartz and wear the watch with pride, I know I would. He can call himself lucky to have the watch handed down to him.
Unfortunately, most of the time the watches are put up for sale to make a few bob, irespective of the history of the watch!

By the way, so that people can imagine what that kind of money was worth... I was earning 7£ a week in 1968 when I was living in England!
So it was way beyond my reach...

Regards

posted
Mike Hello. Great looking watch. My Mk 2 looks nice like yours does but I tossed the box not thinking of the future. I bought it to replace a 1968 Croton 3 dial. I like the Mk 2 size and fairly thin body. Very easy to read dials also.

Werner mentioned what he made at the time. LOL, reminded me of what I paid for watches back in the late sixty's and seventy's. My '68 Croton cost me $120. I was managing a Radio Shack making just over a hundred a week.

The Mk 2 was around $229 in I think '72 and I worked on the Railroad making around $225 a week.

When I bought my Mark 4 in 1975 I know I paid $349 for it. Laid off from the PC Railroad I went back servicing organs at my Dad's Piano and Organ store just down the street from Bill Savitts jewelry store where I spent a lot of money and time as a teen. LOL, He called my Dad to ask if I was ever going to pick up the watch cause I had put $25 down on it to hold a month or so earlier . My Dad had it sent over to his store so I never actually "paid" for it. But I still have the 3 watches all these years later.
Take Care...

Posts: 77 | Location: Hartford, Connecticut in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2010