• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Interesting watch boxes "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Picked up a couple of interesting watch boxes and thought I would share some pictures. Had to use the old camera, so pictures are pretty bad.

Adam

Longines Jewelry/Watch box

Posts: 311 | Location: Near Youngstown, Ohio USA | Registered: January 11, 2006
posted
Top of Longines.

posted
Second one is a Wittnauer Electric box.

posted
Inside Wittnauer. Watch has 10K solid gold bezel with Stainless case and is still working great!

posted
Both are very nice! I wonder how much the Longines box cost the consumer? With the duel function of watch and jewelry box the designers might have been trying to make functional packaging? The intent was more likely to keep the company name on the dresser than to be eco-friendly though.
The Wittnauer is attractive too but what caught my eye was the use of "All-Proof". I've had Witt. all-proof watches from the 30's. With trademarks, if you don't use it you lose it.

I acquired a pile of 45+ boxes in a trade at the Reno regional and will take some pics of some if interested.

Cool stuff Adam and fun to see.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Cort,

Not sure of its original intent, but is is very similiar to my other Jaeger Lecoultre Vacheron Constantine marked jewelry/watch box. I posted pics of it on a Vacheron forum and didn't get much info. Basically said they never seen one marked both Vacheron and Lecoultre.

I decided that they came with higher end watches at the time. Not sure if that is correct or not, but the only watch that I have that is marked both Lecoultre & Vacheron is the Diamond Mystery dial and it looks great in it.

Adam

posted
Here are are two from the new bunch I got recently. First is the top of a fancy plastic Wittnauer box.

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
This one is for a Gruen Cosmopolitan. Does anyone know what that is? I'm used to using numbers with Gruen.
-Cort

posted
Here's a NOS in the box Solid 14k Timex Electric Dorado from the 1960's. The Limited Eddition 14K Dorado model is an extremely rare watch and I believe is the ONLY solid gold watch ever made by Timex.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Cort,

The "Cosmopolitan" line was a Gruen marketing effort in the mid '50s. Most were round, although I've seen a few rectangles with Cosmopolitan marked dials.

Most of the Cosmopolitans are in solid gold cases, and some had fancy dials. Some were unique designs that only appeared as Cosmopolitans, others were old standard cases that just had upgraded dials. There was apparently nothing special mechanically about them, most use the old workhorse 510 movement, but the rectangles use either the 430 or 335 movements.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
Dave,
Gold Timex Confused . Very cool!

Cary,
Thank you for the Cosmo info. My memory is returning that I have had one or two of these over the years (where, now, when I need'm?).

Adam,
Got more boxes(and don't bore me with that character stuff Wink )? I would like to see pics of more old boxes that are interesting for one reason or another.
-Cort

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
HERE is a link to a previous discussion on watch boxes.

And a follow up on the SKY KING from finding the box to finding the right watch to restoring the box to original action.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Gotham

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Waltham

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Gruen

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I have dozens and dozens of watch boxes I have just been packing away in several cardboard packing boxes. Everytime I think about listing some to see how they will do I get sidetracked and list something else. I guess I ought to dig them out and get busy listing. Smile

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006