Internet Horology Club 185
Question for WWers from PWer

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/954109265

September 24, 2004, 12:32
Jim McKinney
Question for WWers from PWer
Is It a Rolex, a Goering, or What, Please ? Confused

I'm just a RR PWer & need Help, please . . .

The Seller says it's a Rolex - is there a legitimate connection with Goering ? is it a private label ? a Frankenwatch, perhaps ? OR the real deal ? what's your take on this, please ?

Thanks with . . .

Inside case back

September 24, 2004, 13:43
Dave Freeman
Jim,
I've previously bought from this EBAY seller, and his stuff is pretty nice. He also stands by his watches, I know from experience.

Regarding the watch in question, I think I'd err on the side of caution. I doubt very much it's a "complete Rolex", I'd need a few more identification markings to convince me. Wink

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321
September 24, 2004, 13:56
Jim McKinney
Wink Thanks, Dave . . .

I've edited my original inquiry to include a photo from the seller attached above. I see Rolex only on the winding wheel - but - I'm not familiar with the hallmarks on the movement or on the inside of the case back ?? Both of which appear to include "G" - Goering ?? who I understand was a high quality Swiss/German (?) watchmaker . . .
September 24, 2004, 23:22
Jeffrey P. Hess
I do not care for so called experts who dismiss watches with great certainty when there is wiggle room. And when we all know that Rolex of Canada did some odd things... but let me get this straight...a rebberg movement, signed "d. gruen and son" on the movement, with a pilot case and rolex on the wheel and goering on the dial????

I do no think so..not even in Canada.... I mean even though Aegler and Rolex and Gruen worked together for many years, this one just does NOT make sense...
(but ya never know)
September 25, 2004, 09:02
Jim McKinney
Wink Thanks, Jeff . . . I appreciate your insight, very much !