Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Must de Cartier" "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Cooksey Shugart
posted
Must de Cartier, what is the meaning of (Must de)?
Thanks Cooksey

Posts: 62 | Location: Cleveland, Tennessee USA | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I has long been my understanding (or misunderstanding) that this tag was a play on the English word "must," in the sense that the so-labeled Cartier item was something one must have. However, it has also long been my understanding (or misunderstanding) that it only was used for low-end, mass market Cartier items, such as vermeil watches.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
"Must" is not a word in French so it is clearly fanciful. I think Ethan's information is plausible. My limited Googling shows it was first used for perfumes, then for vermeil watches in the 1970s. There's nothing remotely close to the word in any standard French-language dictionaries.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
In New Websters Dictionary, there is a defintion of must. Noun meaning the juice of grapes before or during fermentation. From Latin mustus, meaning fresh and new.

Peter
uk

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
posted
If you go to www.cartier.com click North America, drop down for English, then click The Maison Cartier and go to history, it will bring up dates - click on 1968, 1973/1983 - interesting reading there which may further clarify the Les Must de Cartier line of products.

Thanks for the great topic.

Barbara
Wink

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
posted
Well done Barbara,
I was'nt too convinced by this grape juice idea!!
Peter

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
posted
The English translation for "Must de Cartier"
is " Cartier, it's a must" Smile

It's a brand marketing term.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004