Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Benrus Fixable??? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
What is it about these Benrus Watches that hits me? Even in this shape I just had to have it.

Looks terrible, but THAT SHAPE and DESIGN is WOW!

Is it just my worped mind?

I can't help it, I like it a lot.

Can it be restored?

Sheila

Benrus51967w

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Sheila,

Without seeing your watch for a detailed inspection, please accept this as a general statement. Benrus parts are fairly easy to find, and their cases are typically gold-fill or gold-plate bezels and stainless backs.

As with most things, it can be restored if it's worth the cost. The dial, crystal and movement parts shouldn't be a big deal, nor should they be too expensive to restore. The gold filled case, especially if the engraving is worn smooth, will be both harder and more expensive to have repaired. A good replating job alone, if there is no fill-in needed, and no additional prep work, will cost somewhere in the $50 to $60 range. Add the cost for repairs or detailed polishing and cleaning, and it could easily top $100. A complete restoration may run up to $200 or a little more.

So, "Can it be done?"... Yes!
"Is it worth it?"... I don't know.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
Cary,

Right to the point!!!

I LOVE THAT!!!!

I just won it, so I won't really know until I see it in person, but it sure "Hooked" me when I saw it. Sometimes you just have to go for it when a watch does that to ya, ya know?

I paid almost nothing for it, so no loss, and if it still has that "Punch" when I see it in person, it will be worth a fix to me.

It has 15 Jewels and the serial number is 51967 and that's all I know about it.

If I decide to fix a watch, I get everything done to it that it needs, so it's all the way, or nothing to me.
Needless to say, it takes longer for me to get a lot of watches fixed, when you want them to be as good as you can get them. The cost is worth it when you get a good job too.

I sure hope it's not full of rust!

We will see...

Thank you for the "Rundown" of what may be expected for the repair, that is fantastic information, I didn't know anything about replating a watch, and I also realize that it could even cost more, if there are problems with it, but a starting idea of the costs is so important to me, otherwise I would worry too much.

For a $10.00 watch it may still be worth a fix.

We will see.

Forgot, it's 10k RGP

Sheila

posted
I looked at the back and figured that it looked even enough to maybe be ok.

not bent or anything.

All you can do is take a chance huh?

Sheila

Benrus51967-2w

posted
Sheila, Remember--every watch is able to be restored. How much do you want to pay to have it done?

Tom

posted
Sheila,

On looking closer at the photos, I really don't think the case is that bad. The lug tips seem sound in the picture of the caseback, and that is usually the first and worst place for wear. It may be that a little spit and polish is all that should be done to that one.

If the movement needs work, Benrus typically used some of the more common Swiss ebauches, so parts are pretty easy to find.

Regards again,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
Tom,
If it "stirs me" whatever it takes.
If it doesn't, I may just spit and polish it, like Cary said!

I have 2 watches that I'm getting done soon, so this one is at least a month or more away.
No hurry on this one, I haven't even gotten it yet.

Cary,
I thought the lugs looked ok too, but you guys see a lot more than I do, so that's why I asked. I think it may be able to be saved, and after looking at all those wristwatches in "What are you wearing today?" post, I could not resist.
Wristwatches are getting to me again!

Sheila