Page 1 2 3 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Oldest Wristwatch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
The Hamilton SN# is 2,017,930, which dates to about 1923.
I also have a couple of swiss watches whose age I haven't a clue, so won't include them here.

Steve G.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
1889 Elgin

1889 elgin ww

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
posted
My oldest is this Waltham. #24975237 dates it to I believe around 1925.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Here is the dial. I'm not sure why it appears so crooked when it's in the case, but hey...if I make it to 84 years old, I'm sure I will be a little off kilter too!

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
The only thing wrong with it is that it will pick up about 15 minutes in the course of 8-9 hours. I don't know if there is something that a newbee like me can bump on it to adjust it down or not. I'm not doing railroad work, though, so exact time isn't going to drive me crazy.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ed

I would guess it needs service, you will notice that the regulator is already to the extreme slow position yet it gaisn time. That is a sign it needs service.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thanks Tom.

That was my guess as well. I was just keeping fingers crossed that that wasn't the case. Oh well. At least it looks ok. Once finances get back to where I would like them to be, Mr. Abell will be getting another watch or two from me to work on.

Thanks again.
Ed

posted
Just got this last week it's my oldest they called them wristlets in the beginning.

I think it might of been used in WW1 I have a post in the military section with more info and photo's.Neat dial 48 stars for 48 states Alaska and Hawaii were not state's yet.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Not the oldest i own but one of my favorites.

It,s a 3/0 size waltham 21 jewel riverside movement in a gold dennison case.

From 1932.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
That is a beauty!

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Very sharp looking watch. !! Great dial.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
posted

15 jewel Illinois movement Depollier case cir 1918

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Here 9c longines year 1904

Posts: 2 | Location: Portsmouth in the United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2009
posted
and longines's movement

Posts: 2 | Location: Portsmouth in the United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2009
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Hello and welcome to IHC815, Wat! We are happy to have you join us! That is a beautiful Longines - very clean movement and pretty dial. I like it!

I am a relatively new member but have learned an incredible amount about watches and have "met" some of the nicest people willing to freely share of their horologic knowledge. It's the best $12.00 investment I have made in a long time! You won't be disappointed. If you have a question, just ask. Someone will be able to help you find the answer.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Wat

I would also like to welcome you too! We all love photos of watches so keep them coming & please let us know about what type you collect. I am always happy to see new members from the UK, I really like English watches but don't have a lot of knowledge about them.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Heres mine - not pretty - but she runs!

Elgin 3/0 from approx 1920. Not sure if she started out as a wristwatch, but she ended up that way.

Posts: 248 | Location: Tacoma, Washington in the USA | Registered: March 10, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
movement

Posts: 248 | Location: Tacoma, Washington in the USA | Registered: March 10, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
I believe this to be my oldest wrist watch. It was originally sold by Weir & Sons Ltd., of Dublin, and the movement I have been told is by Rotary. This bare movement was in a box when I found it and had lots of dirt and dust balls stuck to it. I dusted it off, wound it and it started ticking. To my surprise, after 24 hours it was still ticking and was just as accurate as the quartz watch on my wrist. I was so impressed with the way it performed that I decided to try to restore it to a point where it could be worn. The following five pictures show my progress.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
This shot shows the movement and it is still quite filthy looking. Since it is running so well, I have decide against tearing it down for a cleaning and lube job (you know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
This wire-lug case was in another box from the same watchmakers estate. I don't know if it is the original case for my Weir & Sons movement, but it fit perfectly and was from the same time period. As you can see, it looks like it was dragged behind a truck all the way from Dublin Big Grin

IHC Life Member
posted
This shot shows the restoration of the back of the nickel case. There were two dents on opposite corners of the back that could not be removed because of the overhang around the front of the case. Just could not get at them to pound them out. This shot also shows how I had to put the leather strap on the closed wire lugs. With a razor I had to slice apart the flaps on the ends of the straps, then reassemble them on the watch using contact cement. After assembly I did a rigorous "tug test" and they held up well.