• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 983 0-Size "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Just picked this one up not to long ago. What do others think?

Adam

Posts: 311 | Location: Near Youngstown, Ohio USA | Registered: January 11, 2006
posted

posted
Close Up

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Beautiful movement! That is one small Hamilton that I have always wanted to find. Do you think the case is original, or might it originally have been cased as a pendant watch?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Jerry,

I am not really sure. I am hoping to get some input. It looks all original to me as it has no other case screw marks. The again, it could have been recased 75 years ago with a NOS case. There are also several repair dates scratched in the back of the case which make me believe this is original. The movement dates to approx. 1908. I was hoping someone might know the dates for serial numbers on Wadsworth cases. I understand these movements may have laid around for years, so I am not sure that will help but any information is appreciated.

Adam

IHC Life Member
posted
If the movement had originally been in a pendant watch it would have resulted in the seconds register being at the 3 o'clock position - which is unlikely.

Dan.

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
Adam,

Nice little watch. These are very rarely seen, and you've gotten one in nice shape. I do believe this to be a period recase, simply because of the width of the blank space between the minutes marks and the edge of the bezel. I would think a case from an original pairing would have had a wider bezel.

I don't know of a serial number list for Wadsworth, but I believe the "Referee" mark is pre-1924. Not that it narrows things down much.

Of course, at this time, buyers could pick a movement and have a jeweler match it to any case that suited them. I don't know if all (or any) of the 983 movements were factory cased. This might well be the first case the movement was installed into, which I guess would make it "original".

A movement intended for a hunter case pendant watch would be the correct configuration for a wristwatch.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
You can see this case pictured in the article by Bryan Girouard and Will Roseman in the April 2006 Bulletin. It is depicted in an advertisement stating that this watch is used by US Mail Aviators.

The 1919 catalog lists the 0-size 981 in a round and cushion shape silver case. The 1920 price list gives a price of $37.00 and $43.00 (Luminous Dial) for Stirling Silver, Round Case. It does not give the movement grade.

I hope Will is not too busy to see it.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
posted
Dan, Cary, & Don,

Thanks for your input I do appreciate it. Love wearing this watch. I have been looking for one for awhile.

Thanks again,

Adam

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Adam:

Your watch is a "recase" and was likely originally cased as a woman's pendent watch. The dial on your watch was used for woman's pendents in early examples (though Hamilton used those same dials in later "spring-bar" examples). Also, the movement serial number which you date as 1908 pre-dates the year that Hamilton first released the wristwatch for men (which was in 1917). I am away on a business trip and therefore can not check my serial number dates so I am accepting the date that you give it though I would date the movement to 1911 or so.

You can see information on the movement by going to:

983 Movement information

It is not a Hamilton case as all gold-filled examples are plainly marked "Hamilton Watch Co." on the inside of the back case piece. Examples in silver were not "Hamilton" marked but were marked "Fahys" and solid gold cases were made by the "Brooklyn Watch Case Company" and marked as such (Note - BWC was owned by Fahys).

It is a fine watch nonetheless and when I get back from my trip, I'll be happy to send you additional information along with pictures if you are still interested.

I hope I have been helpful.

Kindest regards,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005