Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gruen & Bulova Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I bought these two watches along with a Elgin 18s pocket watch on Ebay for a total of $5.00

I don't know anything about wrist watches. I was wondering if someone might give me an idea as to the when these might have been made.

The Gruen has three diamonds in the face.

Thanks for any advice.

Tom

Gruen

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Movement

Movement

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bulova

Watch

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bulova movement

Bulova movement

posted
They look 50s ish to me, is there a code on the back of the Bulova one, M9, or something similar?

I like look of the Gruen one, and it's a bargain at the price, But you probably knew that already!

Although I have just noticed the Bulova is missing the little geary thingy to stop the winder going the wrong way. As you can probably tell, I'm not the most technical person on this forum.

Posts: 106 | Location: Widnes, United Kingdom | Registered: April 02, 2008
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Stephen,
There is a click to prevent the ratchet wheel from going backwards, it is just a different style than you are used to seeing. If it is not winding, it might be due to the mainspring or barrel arbor problem. Those Bulovas are excellent movements.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi
Thanks for the reply, the Bolova winds well & runs but I need to get up the nerve to clean it. I have done a few ww's but I have trouble with such small parts & big clumsy hands.

Tom