Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Omega Louis Brandt 1119 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Just thought I would show my latest find could not wait and had to take a late night servicing this one. Omega solid 18K gold case 1119 (Cal .1111), these are a limited edition run of 876 this model indicated by “AL” has a solid gold 21k oscillating weight.

Here is the offcial info,
Omega Louis Brandt - II De Luxe Limited Edtion 18K

Model 1119 Solid 18K case,

Case 1660300 movement Serial AL909 Only 876 made

Reference 5311 from the International collection 1991

Special series Numbered (AL909) and limited

Movement
Type: Automatic chronometer certified
Caliber number: 1119
Created in 1991 21 jewels
= cal. 1111 with "De Luxe" 21K solid gold rotor

Produced in a total quantity of 876 pieces only

Movement is numbered AL indentifier
Functions Date, Chronometer

Case 18K solid yellow gold
Dimensions: Ø34 mm

Case back
Press-in Transparent (sapphire)
Dial
Silvered with "clous de Paris" pattern, with 11 roman hour markers and 12 18K gold "cabochons".

Crystal
Scratch-resistant sapphire (anti-reflective)

Bracelet
leather strap with Omega buckle

More product information
Case ref. = BA 166.0300
Case : round (9,2 x 34 mm) - 18K solid yellow gold

Swiss retail price (1997) :
-( CHF 6'200).- $6200

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Case alone weigh 21 dwt with crystal

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
You Have what i think is one of the nicest Omeags ever made ,, Do these have the ball bearing rotor. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Wow that is a beauty. That rotor with the Omega symbol on it is just beautiful.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Has the ball bearing rotor, thankfully in good condition, hard to get a good photo showing the movement, it’s a very heavy watch (36 Dwt) plain simple and a truly elegant “Gentleman’s timepiece”, from what I see relatively hard to find, so far only found one other for sale, not that I am in a rush to sell, still admiring it at the moment.

posted
Is this basically a 2892 ETA movement with a solid gold rotor?

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Most Omega start as a Eta base, along with many other main line brands also utilize them Breitling, Tag, IWC, Etc, this one top of the range 2892-2 are chronometer grade this would have a individual certification also Only 3% of Swiss Watch production is COSC certified.
The 2892-2 is regarded by many horologists as being in the same 'quality' range (accuracy and reliability) as the in-house produced Rolex movements In so far as accuracy is concerned any movement which is expected to be COSC-certified, or is in fact COSC-certified, must meet the same standards. The ETA 2892-2 is usually found in the more expensive and prestigious watches and brands. Owing to its relatively slim height of 3.60 mm, the 2892-2 is a favorite of watch brands that market complicated movements such as Breitling with its trademark chronograph (stop watches). Given the slim dimensions of the 2892, it provides a good platform on which to add or build a chronograph complication. It is also used in IWC's Portofino line without complications simply for its small size.

posted
Chris, I think a much higher percentage, closer to 50%, of Swiss mechanical watch production is COSC certified. A few years ago I saw that roughly 50% of all Swiss mechanical watch production was Rolex and virtually all of Rolex mechanical watches are COSC certified. Others like Breitling are also all COSC certified.

The 2892 is a great movement, derived from an Eterna movement. But, I don't think Omega did much to the movement other than add a solid gold rotor. The watch does not have the proprietary Omega balance they adopted a few years ago which is a major departure from the standard 2892.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Not that it particularly matters, for as soon as someone mistreats the watch they may affect the timing and nullify the certification, as with any certificate it is only good at the moment of issued, and was just a nice extra included in the limited edition. Many watches may meet or exceed the COSC standards in standard production run movements with batch testing but not individually, from all accounts and data only 3% of Swiss watches are actually certified individually and undergo certification with a physical certificate at time of purchase.

posted
Chris, I've always thought every Rolex certified chronometer came with a certficate. If so, that is a whole lot more than 3% of all mechanical watches. Again, not that it matters, but meeting COSC standards, whether done individually or in a batch, is still meeting COSC standards. When they don't meet standards, whether individually or in a batch, they aren't fixed but sent back to the manufacturer. My further understanding is that with manufacturing and material standards as they currently exist, it is more of a pro forma thing to meet the standards. It is more the simple cost of having the test done. Very, very, very few fail.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Michael,

To save a lot of typing here is the answer found online, basically Rolex have there own test facility and testcertain movements (3135 3155, 3175, 3185, 4130 and 2235)
Rolex are only a small part of the Swiss output and hence why what seems the small figure of 3%
Interestingly my own GMT that I wear daily says “Superlative Chronometer” not “Certified Chronometer”. I had a formal COSC certified watch a while ago that had a very nice certificate with a table filled out by hand and stamped signed etc, that was one of the 3% certified by COSC, also note we are referring to the establishment of “COSC only” (Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres), as you can see there are other establishments now doing there own certification.
Modern mechanical watches of even the lower end are capable of exceptional timing results that really do exceed the reasonable expectations and needs of average user of course like cars in mass production batch testing some variance will occur and that is where I can see the only advantage of COSC being that every one has been tested at time of manufacture.

Background
Founded in its current form in 1973, the COSC is a Swiss non-profit organization that tests Swiss-made chronometers. COSC is an acronym for the organization's French name, Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres.

COSC testing generally applies to watches manufactured/assembled in Switzerland.[1] Notwithstanding, the normative standards are set by international agreement and are the same whether they are nominally labeled ISO or DIN standards. Some German, Japanese, and even non-certified Swiss movements can surpass the normative requirements. The Japanese have largely abandoned the accolade, replacing it with in-house testing to a slightly more strict standard as with, for example, the Grand Seiko. On the other hand, the Germans have set up their own testing facility in Saxony at the Glashütte Observatory where the DIN 8319 standards, which mirror the ISO standards used by COSC, are employed. At one time the French provided similar large scale testing at the Observatory at Besançon, however, today only a very few watches are currently tested there and carry the accolade "Observatory Chronometer."

The COSC was founded by five watchmaking cantons (states) of Switzerland: Bern, Geneva, Neuchâtel, Solothurn and Vaud, together with the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry (FHS). It encompasses the laboratories/observatories that had been created independently of each other from the late 19th century.

Three laboratories now test the movements submitted by individual watch manufacturers to be granted chronometer status. They are in Biel/Bienne, Geneva and Le Locle. The Geneva and Biel laboratories are almost entirely devoted to testing Rolex movements. Although not all Rolex watches are chronometers, Breitling has claimed that since 2000 all of its production is COSC certified. Since its inception in 2006 Bremont watch has had its entire line COSC certified as well. Omega also has much of its production certified. Thus, based upon the movements used by Rolex, Breitling, and Omega, the movement calibers that obtain most of the COSC certificates are the Rolex 3135 (since 1988) (and variants 3155, 3175, 3185, 4130) and 2235, the ETA 2892A2 (and variants) and Valjoux 7750 each of which operates at 28,800 beats per hour.

Standards and methods
Each officially certified COSC chronometer is identified by a serial number engraved on its movement and a certification number given by the COSC.

Testing criteria are based on ISO 3159 which defines a wrist chronometer with spring-balance oscillator. Only movements which meet the precision criteria established under ISO 3159 are granted an official chronometer certificate. Compare ISO 3158.

Each uncased movement is individually tested for fifteen days, in five positions, at three different temperatures. The movements are fitted with a seconds hand and the automatic winding mechanisms are disengaged for the tests. Measurements are made daily with the aid of cameras. Based on these measurements, seven eliminatory criteria are calculated, each of which must be met e.g. for movements of a diameter over 20 mm, the requirements, indicated in seconds/day, are noted in the table below. There is no ISO standard for quartz timepieces, but there is development in this field. ISO 10553:2003 specifies the procedure for evaluating the accuracy of quartz watches, individually and by lot, and the relationship between the accuracy tested and the accuracy classification given by the manufacturer. It applies to quartz watches having accompanying documents on which the accuracy classification is indicated. Nevertheless, COSC has also developed its own standard for testing quartz chronometers with eight eliminatory criteria, also noted in the table below.

COSC Standards Mechanical Quartz
Average daily rate: -4/+6 Average daily rate at 23 °C: ± 0.07
Mean variation in rates: 2 Rate at 8 °C: ± 0.2
Greatest variation in rates: 5 Rate at 38 °C: ± 0.2
Difference between rates in H & V positions: -6/+8 [14] Rate stability: 0.05
Largest variation in rates: 10 Dynamic rate: ± 0.05
Thermal variation: ± 0.6 Temporary effect of mechanical shocks: ± 0.05
Rate resumption: ± 5 Rate resumption: ± 0.05

Measurements are compared with a time base established by two independent atomic clocks synchronized on GPS time. Not all chronometers are supplied with the report issued by the COSC as the reports are optional to the brand or maker. Each manufacturer may decide whether to reveal the results gathered during the certification process of the movement. For example, Rolex and Omega do not supply their chronometer certified watches with the COSC certificates. However, Omega can provide the COSC chronometer certificate if asked.

Observatory trials and standards before 1973
While competitive chronometer testing took place at the observatories in Neuchâtel (1866-1975) and Geneva (1873-1967), testing of large numbers of watches intended for public sale was conducted by the independent Bureaux officiels de contrôle de la marche des montres (B.O.s) established between 1877 and 1956. Between 1961 and 1973,“a chronometer [was] a precision watch, which [was] regulated in several positions and at different temperatures and which had received a certificate [from the (“B.O.)]." Collective certificates, rather than individual certificates, were usually issued. The 1961-73 standard required a mean daily rate in five positions of -1/+10. In 1973, the B.O.’s came under the C.O.S.C. which specified a daily rate of -4/+6 sec.

The value of COSC certification
Only 3% of Swiss Watch production is COSC certified
Over a million official chronometer certificates are delivered each year, representing only 3% of the Swiss watch production, a proportion that underscores the exceptional nature of a chronometer. To earn chronometer certification, a movement must not only be made from the highest quality components, but also be the object of special care on part of the finest watchmakers and timers during assembly.[20]

Meaningful test or marketing gimmick?
There is a debate among watch enthusiasts as to whether the COSC chronometer certification for a Swiss watch is a meaningful test or a simple marketing gimmick. On the one hand, when a watch maker intends to submit a movement for COSC testing, they frequently employ additional jewelling (i.e. to the barrel) and better quality "Ébauche" parts (i.e. higher quality hairsprings, mainsprings, balance wheels; regulators, etc.) all aimed at the coveted chronometer certification. On the other hand, it is likely that most good quality movements on the market today are capable of being tweaked, and timed to fall comfortably within the benchmark -4/+6 average daily rate criteria of the COSC. However, movements so submitted to COSC are more likely to be submitted with better quality parts in order to be confident of a successful test, and as a consequence may be more likely to maintain better timekeeping rates over the service life of the time piece.

Therefore, some of the ″Haute Horlogerie″ Swiss Watch Manufacturers have created on 5 June 2001, ″The Fleurier Quality Foundation″ to establish new aesthetic and technical criteria dedicated to the certification of finished watches. Their certification meets a normative requirement for the market and the final customer to have a better definition of quality watchmaking, adapted to today's demands and technological advances. Geneva's have created along similar criteria the Geneva seal

Exemplar brands submitting to COSC
Among others, Bremont, MontBlanc, Maurice Lacroix, Chanel, Invicta, Baume et Mercier, Breitling, Chopard, Chronoswiss, Ebel, Enicar, Girard-Perregaux, Mido, Omega, Oris, Patek Philippe & Co., Rolex, TAG Heuer, Stowa, Ulysse Nardin, Vacheron Constantin, Waltham International and Zenith are brands that submit at least some of their movements for COSC certification. Audemars Piguet, Breguet, IWC, Jaeger-LeCoultre, A. Lange & Söhne, Grand Seiko, and Piaget, Bvlgari are among the expensive brands that do not submit their movements to COSC.

Fine regulation and chronometer characteristics of a watch can be destroyed in seconds by a rough and inexperienced hand

posted
quote:
Again, not that it matters, but meeting COSC standards, whether done individually or in a batch, is still meeting COSC standards

Chris, the above was my main point. Whether done individually, in batches whatever. The standards are the same. There is no benefit to the watch user of individual or batch. The standards are no higher. Furthermore, a ETA 2892 is still an ETA 2892, a rather nice but common movement and yours has a solid gold rotor. It certainly isn't considered a "Manufacture" movement. You have a nice, limited production watch.

posted
Nice watch Chris, and I have the Holy Grail...
Louis Brandt First edition 1984 ( and not ETA based Wink )

Here the answer to my questions from the Omega Museum.
Dear Mr Rosier,
Following your inquiry, please find below the requested details.

Kind regards.

The LB collection started with the number 1. The watches were then numbered consecutively first 1-999 and then A1-999 and later B1-999.

The numbering followed without regard to the reference of the watch i.e. the number 2 and 3 are not the same reference. So your watch is the 431st “Louis Brandt” watch made and not the 431st example of its type.
The engravings on the inside were hand engraved.

Hopefully this clears things up for you. Should you require specific details about your watch please use the “Extract of the Archive” service on our website. The link for which can be found below.

http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/order-form

Once again thank you for your interest in our brand and best regards;

This watch may have existed with different dials.

More product information

Case : round (34 mm diameter), 18K solid yellow gold, with three pushbuttons allowing easy correction of each function, by means of a key (18K solid gold).
International Collection : 1984
Swiss retail price (1984) : CHF 16'700.-
JLM

Louis Brandt - I

Gents' leather strap

Reference

BA 156.769 BZ 01

International collection

Special series
Numbered and limited

Movement

Type: Automatic (mechanical)
Caliber number: 716
Created in 1984
24 jewels
With 18K gold rotor
All functions are synchronized and adjusted up to year 2100.
Produced only in a total quantity of 193

Functions
Day-date, Perpetual-calendar, Moonphase

Case

18K solid yellow gold

Case back

Transparent (sapphire)
Transparent (sapphire)
Dial

White, with 3 counters and moon phase, roman hour markers and black "stick" hands.

Crystal

Scratch-resistant sapphire

Bracelet

Crocodile leather strap

Water resistance

30 meters

Alain Monachon

OMEGA MUSEUM - Archivist

OMEGA SA

RUE STAMPFLI 96

2500 BIENNE 4

SWITZERLAND

T. +41 (0)32 343 92 71

F. +41 (0)32 343 98 70

alain.monachon@omega.ch

www.omegawatches.com

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
posted
Nice watch Chris! eta 2892-2 or in house movement by Omega, I would still would like to be the owner of such a fine timepiece.

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Werner that is a beautiful watch the hand engraving is outstanding. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
yes I know Samie, so was the price! Some watches just have to be bought when they come up, one never knows if they will appear again in ones lifetime, considering there were only 193 produced!!!

Regards

Werner

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Werner,
Great find fantastic watch, may well never see another.

posted
quote:
Werner,
Great find fantastic watch, may well never see another.

Thanks Chris, goes down well coming from you!

Regards

Werner

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Here is one less LB Frown I put it on my "cheap repair" page

quote:
Omega Louis Brandt, limited edition 18k quality limited edition watch, destroyed in one service, to much damage to list, he could not open the case so gouged it all up in attempting to do so, glues the case back together on completion, destroying the dial, the sub dials also all badly marked, scratched every gold movement plate so badly no collector would buy it, removed the gold plating by improper cleaning methods, even scratched names/shapes on the plates to aid rebuild, stripped threads, screw heads chewed up and so on,
one unqualified person = watch irreparable, but I am sure cheap.

posted
Oh my god! Jesus wept...what a sight!!! that´s unbelievable Eek
some mothers do have them!

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Like Werner, I am astounded.

Knowing how magnificent this watch once was it is so very sad. This is a perfect example of why it is vital to know exactly who will personally be working on your watch. Some of the best looking stores with the fanciest fixtures and the thickest carpet will send their service to whomever will do it at the lowest price.

A big warning..."You get what you pay for!"

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002