Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

calliing all Hamilton 401 photos "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert

posted
Hello all: I am in the process of writing an article on the Hamilton 401s. These include the Ericsson, Byrd, Andrews, Livingston, and Stanley. As most of you probably know, these are not the RAREST

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
Wristwatch Expert

posted
sorry, hit the wrong computer key. Continuing on:

... as most of you probably know, these are not the RAREST of Hamiltons. But I submit to you they are the most difficult to acquire because they are collected by both Illinois collectors (because Illinois initially produced the movement) and by Hamilton collectors (because Hamilton acquire the 401 when they bought Illinois in the late 20s). You almost never see them offered for sale. They are most often traded "quietly" collector to collector.

Anyway, I am hoping some of our now 500 subscribers would be willing to post some hi-res images of their 401 Hamiltons. I already gave some good images from an original Hamilton catalog. But these are "flat" images. Some nice 3-D photos would certainly add a lot of character to the article. I would certainly give credit in the story to anyone who would supply an image. If got a good digital camera with a macro feature, please post your photos. It would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Well, this watch is not the rarest Hamilton made. However, when you consider that only 285 examples of the Hamilton Byrd were produced in 14K yellow gold, 331 in 14K white, and only 12 in 18K yellow, I suspect this would place it in the top 10 models regarding rarity (excluding uncataloged & one-offs)

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Don't forget the Wilkinson...which I believe is the most rare solid gold 401

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

posted
Here's my all original Stanley.

Stanley

Posts: 77 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: March 21, 2005