Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A HAMILTON OF A DIFFERENT COLOR "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
I have had this watch for many years. Well let me rephrase that I have had most of this watch for many years.
The uncommon Hamilton square cut corner with the seconds bit at 9.00. I will let the Hamilton experts fill us in on the numbers produced I just don’t know. I do know I have never held another one in my hand. I believe it is pictured in Rene’s book (I have to get a copy of that).
The story goes like this; the case and movement came in a box of Hamilton parts watches that I bought at the chapter 1 mart in Pennsylvania just before my wife and I moved to Ohio. Probably 1996 or 7 I am not positive. The movement had more problems than I care to describe so I just packed it away since I did not have a dial. Last fall at the Detroit show I bought another box of Hamilton parts watches from the same fellow I got the first box from. When I got home I found the dial, the hour and minute hands packed in a tin I had not opened at the show. I immediately went looking for the watch but all I could find was the case. I went so far as to look for another movement to replace the original with out success.
Last night I just could not sleep so I got up at 2.00 made some coffee and went to the shop to play. I decided to have a look in some boxes I had not opened in a long time and found the movement. I got real excited and started fixing it right then. I will not bore you with the trials and tribulations of getting this one running lets just say I was ready to take pictures at 20 after 7 this morning
Details
17 jewel 986A movement
Case not in great shape but I don’t care
Wrong second bit but I will find the right one
Running and keeping good time which is amazing considering how bad the hairspring was twisted out of shape. I was not at all convinced I could get it back
A happy camper

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Anybody else have one to share I would love to see it

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Hey Rich, neat looking watch!

Hamilton records show a production of 8,502 for the plain bezel Sqauare in white gold fill with 986A movement. No further breakdown of how many were made with the seconds bit at 9 o'clock position as opposed to the usual way they are found (i.e., no seconds bit at all), but those with the 9 o'clock seconds bit are significantly rarer.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Rich,

Thanks so much for starting this topic. Attached is a photo of a watch in my collection. It is solid white 14K gold "enameled" square with the seconds chapter at 9:00. I don't have photo's of the movement and back, but could take them if you have any interest.

I understand that Will Roseman has data about production of the 14K enameled square, but I don't know how many were produced with the seconds at 9:00. Rene Rondeau has a photo of a watch like this on the cover of his book, but I "think" that he said that watch was gold filled.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Square

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Thank you both for your replies. Bill I love yours mine is only gold-filled but I am enjoying it anyway. Still ticking and keeping time. Bill if it is not to much troble I am sure everyone would love to see the movement

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Bill,

The Enameled Square was one of the last case variations in the 986A line to be introduced, not appearing until May of 1926. Since the 986A was replaced by the 987 later that same year, only 278 of the 14K white enamel Square were produced... and fewer with the seconds bit at 9 o'clock... your watch is quite rare.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Serial Number 2181792

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Back

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Inside case

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
The photo's were done quickly, but I hope they are sufficient.

Bryan, I appreciate the information about the watch. I had a feeling it was rather rare, as I don't know if I've ever seen another solid gold example of the enameled square with this type of dial/seconds chapter.

I appreciate the depth of knowledge in this chapter.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Thank you Bill

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Hey Rich and Bill nice watches did not know hamilton made one with seconds at 9 oclock ,,of course there is a lot i have to learn about the wriswatches..Glad to see the pictures Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Hi everyone, I am happy to find this thread as I too am looking for insight into the sub 9 register of the Hamilton Square. Mine is 14k but I had to have the dial rebuilt as it was in poor shape when purchased. Rich/Bill, do you know if you dial was original? I've read from various sources that these sub-9 varieties were probably post factory converts and since no one has documented record otherwise, the naysayers have a good argument. However, finding one with a factory original dial would be a great counter argument. Apologies for the crummy photos.

Posts: 2 | Location: New York, New York in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 02, 2011
posted
Matthew,

I don't think that Bill is posting here these days. I saw his example in person a few fears ago. IF memory serves, his dial was a nicely aged re-done dial... it was likely printed by International Dial like yours. Smile

Regards,

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
posted
Rick, thanks for the response. When I bought the watch, the corners were all cracked and broken. I don't think it was an entire reprint on a new dial (you can see some creasing from the repair in the lower right corner). I'll have my watch guy look at the dial back to see if there's anything available to indicate an original (albeit refurbed). Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Location: New York, New York in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 02, 2011