Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Information needed on Ventura wristwatches "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Seeing a picture of Elvis's 1957 Ventura wristwatch recently has stirred my past desire for a Ventura wristwatch. Cool

I've heard there were many problems with Venturas during their heyday. Can you expand on this? Confused

I'd like the goods on Venturas (Pacers) as it's on my list(backburner list) of watches to add to my wristwatch collection. Cool Your thoughts, opinions or even facts? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
<Doug Sinclair>
posted
Stephanie,

The Hamilton Electric was the first battery powered watch to reach the market, and the Ventura was the first model of Hamilton Electric to be marketed (in 1957 as I recall). I have one, with the model 500 movement in it. I'd be in trouble if it was my only watch! All I can say is that it runs.

Hamilton kind of rushed the Electric to the market when they heard that Bulova, Elgin, and the Swiss LIP companies were developing battery watches. Hamilton decided that they should be first! For all the years that Hamilton produced the Electric, they poured big dollars into trying to turn it into a reliable, easily serviced watch. While they were flogging an obsolete electro-mechanical concept, Bulova scooped them with the transistorized Accutron 214 which was the first SUCCESSFUL battery powered watch.

I don't consder them to be "good" watches, but my Ventura, Everest, and Railroad "505" Electric have an assured place in my collection for the quirky, landmark watch that they are. Some people collect Edsels!

Doug S.

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
A must read for the Hamilton collector or anyone considering a Ventura is Rene Rondeau's Book called: The Watch of the Future, The story of the Hamilton Electric Watch. It is also worth visiting his web site, www.hamiltonwristwatch.com
Rene is the leading authority on the Hamilton Electric watch.

I love my Ventura, and it would be one of the last in my small Hamilton Collection to go. It is a pristine example, very early in the production, with the first electric movement, the 500. I wear it very often, and have had no problems with it. Rene overhauled it for me one year ago, and it keeps very good time.

The 505 movement was the improved movement from Hamilton, and it was released in 1961. It was less complicated than the 500 (released in 1957), and as a result, less prone to problems.

My suggestion to you is to buy the very best example you can find. When he has them available, Rene sells them for around $1900. I've bought them on that auction site for $1200 to $1500, and always plan on adding $200 for an overhaul by Rene.

14K yellow gold is by far the most common. They were offered with a silver dial, or black dial. When released, silver was the more popular. Today, it is the black dial, by a landslide. 14K white gold is far more rare, and often fetches $3000 to $5000. 18K yellow and rose gold versions were produced for export. I've never seen one, but doubling the price of the white gold version would be a good start. Finally, dials with diamond markers were also available for an additonal few hundred dollars. These can still be found from time to time, and people tend to love them or hate them.

All the Best

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
posted
Doug S,

Interesting information as well as helpful info. you posted. Thanks so much!! Smile

William H,

Thank you for the invaluable information regarding Hamilton Venturas as info. will be very helpful when I do purchase a Ventura. Smile

Thanks for sharing Rene's website address. It seems like the place to purchase a Ventura. Cool My favorite is the black dial, gold case. One of these days!!!!!! Smile Big Grin Smile

Did you know that Hamilton is manufacturing new retro Venturas? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes It looks to me the only difference is in the markers instead of numbers on dial. What do you think about the new/retro Venturas? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

<Doug Sinclair>
posted
Stephanie,

If you want a Ventura to "collect', buy the real one. If you want a Ventura to wear, buy the retro one. Plated case, Swiss quartz movement, but accurate and reliable, could be as much of an attention getter as the real one, AND a whole lot cheaper!

Doug

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Stephanie,

The more you see of Dr. William Hansen's watches the more impressed you'll be! He and Doug explained the Ventura and other Hamilton Electric Watches well. Imagine wearing a Ventura and driving an '58 Edsel! By all means explore Rene Rondeau's Site, he has fully reconditioned watches there for sale and the brand-new "retro" Venturas.

You'll also find Rene's great books on sale there... http://www.hamiltonwristwatch.com/

Richard Arbibs ground-breaking designs shout as loudly today as they did forty-five years ago! One of the easiest ways to spot an original is to look for Electric on the dial like you see above. The "original" Hamilton Venturas were available in several dial configurations including the numbers and markers you mentioned. You also have dial choices in the "retro" models today.

Everyone, visit the Modern Hamilton Watch website... http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/

Today's Hamiltons are top quality and many including the Ventura feature jeweled movements and a lot of attention to detail. If you have two to five grand to put into an original you'll be afraid to wear they are a great investment. But you may choose to spend about a tenth that amount and have a fun, reliable fully guaranteed watch to enjoy as much as you like and be assured that one day your grandchildren will fight over it!

Below, a Ventura of today with black dial, case heavily layered in rose-gold and a lizard strap...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Isn't it amazing to think that this spent the last ALMOST 50 years just like this?

NIB Hamilton Ventura, 1958

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
This is a close up. Note the original band.

NIB

posted
Doug,

You have a good idea there, buy a retro and enjoy wearing it, knowing it will be accurate and reliable. Smile

Lindell,

Thanks for the info. Good to know only the originals have the word ELECTRIC and that originals had numbers or markers depending on one's taste. Good pic you took of your reto Ventura! Cool

William H,

Thanks for the pics of your BEAUTIFUL, new, in the box, never worn, Ventura and the close up. Cool Saw the price tag - $200. back in 1957 was pretty high. Eek Now I'm drooling, need a napkin! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Eek

Anyone else? Smile

Stephanie O'Neil
***** Member 143979

posted
Hey,

Any kind fellow IHC member now knows what they can give me this Christmas! Cool Any takers? Roll Eyes I'll wait for it! Cool Cool Cool

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
I love the Ventura design. I've been toying with the idea of buying a new one. The current stainless reissue models are very attractive. Anyone have one, and if so can you post a picture of the movement? I'm curious to see one, if only so I know what an authentic one looks like inside. I'd hate to make the mistake of buying a fake.

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Well, my desire got the best of me and I went ahead and bought one of the new replica Venturas in stainless. I'm generally not a fan of quartz movements, but the movement really isn't a prime concern in this case. It's all about style when it comes to the modern Ventura. I can't wait to get it!

Now back to my nominal pocket watch obsession.

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
I know we're all about mechanical movements here, but if anyone is interested, the current Hamilton Venture reissues use a Swiss ETA 955.412 movement, which is one of the higher quality ETA models. They typically perform to within +/- 15 seconds per year. Features a gold plated, seven jewel design with EOL battery indicator.

posted
Stephanie
I have a re-issue and I looovvveee it.

I was very concerned about spending loads of money on a watch that was very unrealiable and heavy on maintenance and when i saw that a dealer had a reissue I nearly snatched his hand off and traded in a few watches against the deal.

Does it get noticed you bet...in the Supermarket the girl behind the til, on the commuter train to London, at a wedding reception.

What a splendid design so far ahead of its time in the 50's don't you think? And by the way I never say nice things about quartz watches!

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
That's why I bought a reissue as well. The current stainless ones are very true to the original design. Though I'd LOVE to own a genuine 50's vintage Ventura, I'd never feel comfortable wearing a watch that was worth so much money and was so delicate. The reissue is a fantastic way to have the style of a classic without the fuss. Mine should be here tomorrow or Saturday.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
When I began collecting watches, one of my earliest purchases was a very nice solid 14k Ventura (unfortunately photographed with the crown pulled out in the shot below). It was a very early one (#6589L), so early that Rene Rondeau told me that it had an experimental "hair spring limiter." I wasn't reluctant to wear the watch every now and then, even though it was a bit too flashy for me. However, it needed servicing after nearly every use. Rene Rondeau had completely serviced the watch just before its then owner sold it to me. In the three years I owned it, I had to have it serviced three times(the last two times by Rene Rondeau) at a total cost of around $500. When I understood that the watch would continue to need frequent future servicings, I got fed up and sold it. I am not personally interested in replicas, but a genuine Ventura, if my experience was at all representative, is not a practical watch for actual use, even my very infrequent use.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Stephanie
My retro has ELECTRIC on the dial.

Clive

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't only the actual vintage Venturas say Electric on the dial? All the various reissues I've seen omit that text.

posted
Chris
I don't think that what you say can be correct because mine is definitly a reisssue and it has the name "electic" on the dial.

I know that mine was purchased in the UK by the original purchaser because I have the box and papers. I wonder if its UK specific? And different in USA. Just a thought?

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Not sure. I'm certainly no expert on Hamilton electrics, but my research seemed to indicate that only the original issue models said "Electric." Perhaps someone with more experience here can enlighten us?