Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Movement Marking "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Can anyone tell me what the M with the circle around it stands for on this movement. Is it something special or am I making something out of nothing? Thanks Rob

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Robert i belive that stands for masterpiece these were the movement,s that Hamilton used in most of their solid gold cases. not a easy movement to find in good condition.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks for the info. I was fixing to list it and noticed the M and had me wondering.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Sorry guys - but it means "MEDALLION" -- because in early versions that was what was in the circlular spot - a tiny round solid gold medallion, with an interlinked HW engraved on it.

I understand it signified a 982 with better finish.

Dan.

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Dan Smile

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Robert Dan is right i was wrong Medallion is right not masterpiece. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
No Problem I did not think it was important enough to mention in the description anyway. Thanks for all the help.

posted
I had been told that the Medallion movements were adjusted to higher standards than the normal movements. Examination of the Hamilton Repair Shop standards do not confirm this. The 980, 982 and the 982M all have the same timing standards (three positions, 60 sec/day). The difference between the 982 and 982M appear to be just cosmetic.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Rob,
You have some really nice watches in your auctions, good luck. Wish you were going to Cleveland. Ohio that is. Smile Phil.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Phil for the comment you should buy yourself 2-3 Wink Dozen. I hate missing the national for I really wanted to meet many of the fellow IHC members in person. Have fun and take pictures so at least I can see them. Phil try out your new camera Cool

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Robert:

Early records that I have say that the 982M (Medallion) movement "utilized superior damaskeening and finishing of all parts." In addition, "they are position adjusted and timed to closer tolerances."

My records show that the 982 was temperature adjusted but "not position" adjusted as the 982M was. This may be the case for early examples - however, later examples of the 982 may have been "position adjusted" as well but not when first introduced.

Regards,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Will I appreciate the information. It is unbelievable the wealth of information in this chapter. This is like having watch experts right at my fingertips. Plus their commitment to help one another is so accommodating. Thanks a million!!!!