Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Thinnest automatic movement with seconds hand "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert

posted
Does anyone know who holds the record for thinnest mechanical automatic movement with second hand? As most people know, Buren introduced the Caliber 1000 in 1957. It featured a micro-rotor built into the movement. At a mere 4.2mm thick, it was the flattest automatic of its time. The 1000 underwent several iterations, eventually leading to 11 different variations numbered up to the Caliber 1008. Several of these incorporated a date feature, which added another 0.6mm to the thickness. As a comparison, comparable movements with conventional rotors averaged around 15mm thick.

The introduction of that movement sparked a war for one-upmanship to see who could build the thinnest automatic movement. Audemars Piguet, LeCoultre, and Piaget (among others) entered the fray, with Piaget ultimately winning the contest in 1959 with the Caliber 12P, which measures 2.3mm thick. That record stood until 1978, when Bouchet - Lassale S.A. introduced the Cal. 2000, an automatic winding movement only 2.08 mm thick

However (and correct me if I'm wrong) neither of these movements has a second hand. I am trying to find out who built the thinnest automatic movement with second hand. Anybody know?

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
posted
Bruce,
I think the Corum $20.00 gold coin watch has one of the thinnest mechanical movements. I'm not sure where its stacks up with the LeCoultre stuff.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Wristwatch Expert

posted
Thanks, Dave, but I think this watch, too, is without seconds hand. I'm looking for the thinnest automatic with seconds hand.

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Bruce,

I have no clue as to the answer, but it is my pleasure to welcome you aboard...

WELCOME TO CHAPTER 185!!!

It will be interesting to know what movement is thinnest and hopefully see a picture of it as well.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002