Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Interesting Hamilton Case? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Here is a unusally Hamilton case this is The Drake ca. 1935.987-f movement.

each end of the bezel is engraved with a set of wings and shield that looks very similar to the dial on the Illinois Skyway watch..At frist i thought they were exactly the same ,, the wings are the same as the Skyway watch but the shield is a little different..

I would like to know the history on this watch ,,who owned it etc.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
edge of the bezel

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Wow! How cool is that engraving! Is there any clue on the inside of the back of the case? Any noteworthy engraving there, or on the back? I suspect this is a Mystery for Bryan G., Will R., and Mark C. Let us see what they can say about this curious engraving...

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Bill engraved on the back is Helen to Ross 6-29-34 hallmarked inside the case back is H-6/0 wadsworth and pat/ date 05-3-27..not anything that helps explain the engraving..could it be a early airline logo..

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
United States Air Force?

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
That is a really neat engraving. Most likely done by a talented engraver, rather than at the Hamilton factory.

As the Air Force didn't exist in its current name prior to about 1947, if there is a military association with the engravings on the watch, it would be either Army Air Corps or perhaps Naval Aviation... perhpas someone with more knowledge about the history of U.S. Military aviation could identify the insignia more accurately.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
posted
Hi, I'm new on the boards. I have an Illinois Skyway in near mint condition. The dial is original however has some aging. What everyone's concensus about leaving the dial alone, or refinishing it. The aging is not bad, but there are light discolorations. My dial refinisher said he could not refinish the dial. Does anyone know of someone who could refinish a Skyway? Thanks in advance. Dan F.

Dan F.

Posts: 3 | Location: United States. California | Registered: March 11, 2008
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Wayne, I did not know of the many different styles of wings!

Smile

Welcome Aboard Dan!

You have a really unique style watch. About refinishing your dial, it would help a lot to see a picture. Let us begin with the fact it was once just a part of major service to refinish metal wristwatch dials. That being said, original dials are not at all common today, unless it is terrible looking I would tend to favor carefully cleaning and preserving it rather than do something that can never be undone.

Like cutting down a tree, refinishing an original dial is irreversible.

But others may have a different opinion.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Nice to have you with us, Dan. How about trying to post a photo? Let us have a look. Thanks, Phil.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7356029761/m/380108351

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006