Internet Horology Club 185
Pierce Parashock 1941

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/8723995487

February 12, 2015, 22:29
Geoff Osborne
Pierce Parashock 1941
Hi all,
I normally only collest pocket watches, but while I was pulling out some wrist watch parts for a friend I found this complete watch amongst my parts. I wound it and it has been keeping good time. I quite like the look of it and was hoping I could get some information on it.
It has Pierce Parachock, waterproof, non-magnetic printed on its dial, is in a heavy waterproof case with "C.A.Younger, 8-3-41" lightly engraved in its back cover and the serian number 17475 stamped on the case.
I am debating whether to keep it or not, as I normally collect only pocket watches.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers
Geoff

February 12, 2015, 22:30
Geoff Osborne
Couldn't quite work out how to attache more than one image, so here is the back

February 12, 2015, 22:32
Geoff Osborne
And the morvement

February 13, 2015, 00:43
Peter Kaszubski
I would keep it as those are harder to find watches,new hands will make that watch looks better but some like watches as they are.
February 13, 2015, 06:36
Bila Wirriganwalters
Nice watch Geoff, if you decide to sell it let me know.

Cheers,
Bila
February 13, 2015, 09:23
Dave Turner
I like it Geoff,
Here's one of my favorites.

Dave Turner
February 13, 2015, 11:35
Paul D. Trombley
Geoff,

Those hands are perfectly aged to match the dial. I would not mess with apparent original combination. The case is in pretty decent condition for the era.

The black dial is reminiscent of the BuShips watches of the era.

Consider checking in to a membership here. The best $12 I've ever spent

I too would be a potential buyer if you were to make this watch available for sale here.
February 13, 2015, 12:11
David Abbe
Goeff, Pierce manufactured a fine intermediate priced line of all Swiss-manufacture Timers, Pocket and Wrist Watches. You have an all-original Military period (WWII) wrist watch of considerable collectible interest that can and will run well with service. Any changes to any part of it are unnecessary to keep the watch "pristine" for wearing or collection.
February 13, 2015, 12:53
Peter Kaszubski
hmmm funny how we change rusted hands on pocket watches and will not touch hands on wrist watch

February 19, 2015, 08:40
John Kennedy
Just FYI Pierce also made pretty good chronographs which, I understand, are notoriously hard to work on. Your watch may have been a gift to a departing soldier or sailor since realistically were not issued to troops in large numbers. For the sake of provenance you might check databases of WII combatants to see if Mr. Younger comes up. Although this isn't an issued military time piece you may also find helpful information from web sites devoted to military watches.
February 19, 2015, 10:33
Paul D. Trombley
Peter,

I replace hands on a case basis. In this particular case, I think the perfectly matched aging and color of the lume with the markings on the dial is a much better look than mixing new with old.

If I were to commit to sending the dial out for a restoration, then new hands to match would make sense.

Just my two cents worth...
March 16, 2015, 17:27
Rafal Woler
Btw. Pierce company still exist www.pierce1883.com. may be worth drpping then an email and ask for more details.