Tools
Reply to Post

Strap/Band/Bracelet Terminology?? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
As I start out collecting wrist watches, I would like to get some guidance from the experts in regard to correct terminology for the devices that hold the watch on the wrist.

I have seen the terms strap, band and bracelet used on eBay and elsewhere. I'm pretty sure I understand what a "strap" is -- anything that has two pieces joined together by a buckle, snap or clamp. Is that correct?

I'm much more unsure what the distinction between "band" and "bracelet" is. I've seen both terms used to describe what appears to be the same thing to me.

Any guidance the experts can provide would be greatly appreciated. Smile

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed,
let's see if this helps:-

* A "strap" is usually made from leather and has a buckle. They come in all sorts
from very inexpensive ( $1.00 ) to exotic leathers costing hundreds of dollars.

* Leather straps ( sometimes called bands ) also can be used in conjunction with deployment buckles (these are folding type of buckles typically used on more expensive watches, the buckles can sometimes cost a lot of money depending on what they're made of and waht type of leather is used.) These type of buckles tend to be more secure on the wrist ( Much cheaper versions are becoming very popular).

* A watch Bracelet normally is made from metal of gold. The size is normally adjusted by removable links. Usually these bracelets can be removed and replaced by a leather strap if the owner wants to cut down on the overall weight of the watch.

* An Integrated braclet, is usually attached permanently to the watch and made of the same material as the case. These are normally much more difficult to adjust, often requiring additions/cutting etc.

* A mesh band can either be loose or permananently attached to the watch. These are also pretty difficult to adjust.

* Rubber/plastic bands are easily adjusted for length and in most cases are easily cut to length for adjustment. Many of these newer type of bands are very fashionable and very comfortable to wear.
They are usually used with deployment buckles.
Prices start around $10.00 and can easily go well in excess of $1000.00 depending on
type and materials used ( particularily if the deployment buckle is made of precious metals.)

The main thing to remember about wristwatches is:-

" EXCLUSIVITY USUALLY COSTS A LOT OF MONEY "

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Thanks Dave, that provides a lot of helpful info! Smile Cool

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004