WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is the significance of the "N" on this Longines? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

What is the significance of the "N" on this Longines?

We're putting a Longines pocket watch in our Chapter 185 Auctions for the Moore estate. Serial number is 2562300 from c1912 production.

Movement is marked as 19.74 which is of course the Ligne Size. According to the chart on page 34 of the 2005 Complete Guide to Watches that is somewhat larger than a 16-size movement. What makes me curious is the "N" after "19.74" under the balance wheel.

Anyone know what the significance of the "N" might be?

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
This is hear say information. I have heard that Longines in this time period did not make all of there own movements. Perhaps the "N" refers to another manufacturer for Longines purposes. Again this is information I heard many years ago and I have no confirmation.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
posted
Would it stand for negative setting?
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks guys!

Now that's a term I've never heard before Julian. What does "negative setting" mean?

By the way, here is the auction...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426021842/m/4911065541

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Negative setting is where the stem is in the case like most American watches.The negative part is in the movement that the stem fits in to.
A two piece stem.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Julian,

Another "something new" I learned today!

Lindell

Wink