Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rolex question of the day "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
What's it worth ...

Bought a small collection of pocket watches yesterday and the guy has a Rolex he wants to sell also. I know zero plus what I could get out of CS guide, which isn't much. My watch maker opened it up, said it was real Rolex, was a bit puzzled why there would be pitting on a stainless Steel case, but overall said it was in good shape, keeping good time.

I have avoided these because of all the pitfalls assoc with copies, etc, but it looks nice and I would make an offer if it passes the 185 IHC test.

As a starting point, a pawn shop guy told him it was $4k watch, my watchmaker said his contact buys them around $1200-$1400 and sell them for $2500.
Seller has the orig box & papers which I have not seen. Serial # E644101 = 1990, model 3135

I would appreciate any help you guys could give me including what would be a good buy on this watch.

Charlie

posted
mvt

I cannot find this model 3135 in the CS guide. It there something comparable in the guide.

posted
inside back

posted
Pitting on the side of the watch case ??? ANy ideas

posted
Overall pic

posted
Charles,

from you pictures the watch seems in reasonable condition. (do you have pictures of the outside of the rear cover and the bracelet clasp ?)

* Where did you get the serial number from, the paperwork or the watch ? The serial number should be inside the lugs. Has the pitting eliminated all evidence of the Serial No. ?

* The bracelet seems to have some stretch which is not unusual for it's age. Does the clasp have original Rolex markings and say Made in Switzerland. ?

* Does the quickset date feature work well and the is the screw down crown functioning as it should ?

* The dial appears to be original and in pretty good condition.

* If all of the above issues seem to OK, a reasonable buying price in today's market would be around $1300.00 - $1400.00. Just remember getting it serviced (by a reliable source) and having the case cleaned up may easily cost you two to three hundred bucks (Using an official Rolex repair shop may cost about $600.00 - $900.00)

* Regarding how much you could sell it for, EBAY's probably your best bet. But as we all know on any given auction it depends on the bidding activity.

Good luck.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Thanks Dave ... great help
Quickset works ok per watchmaker.
He said Sapphire crystal.
pic of serial #

The 3135 on movement ... is this the ref # in CS guide.

posted
clasp

posted
back of case & 455b code

posted
Charles,
the other pictures have helped. The watch looks OK to me. Having a sapphire crystal helps.
If it were me and I could pick it up for around $1250.00 or so I'd think I was getting a pretty reasonable deal.

A few years ago years ago I had a ROLEX similar to the one you're considering,although mine at the time was about ten years older. I bought it for around $1150.00 and eventually sold it about five years later for around $1800.00.

You'll need to make up your own mind on what you want to do, the decision is yours. Wink

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
I'm ok making that decision, as long as I have your knowledge backing it up.

I really appreciate your help.

One more question .... is the 3135 on the mvt the same # as CS uses in his guide call a ref#?

Charlie

posted
Charles here's some information I pulled of the internet on the Rolex Calibre 3135 movement.

Submariner: Rolex Calibre 3135
The Rolex Calibre 3135 is one of the most uncompromised movements in all of watchdom. Rolex does not have the need to minimize the dimensions of their calibres (which often compromises accuracy and durability) because the design of their movements are coordinated with the cases. Rolex also continues to use its Microstella adjustment system rather than a regulator. The free sprung mass inertia balance is found in few other movements nowadays (Patek Phillipe is the other major user of it) and it is a superior form of regulation (1). Because the balance is freely sprung, the addition of a Breguet Overcoil is possible. By allowing the hairspring to contract and expand symmetrically, the overcoil supposedly stabilizes the rate of time keeping with respect to positional changes, although it is widely debatable whether this feature actually improves the performance of modern balance springs. As opposed to most movements (including the ETA 2892), the huge escape wheel is anchored under a bridge that connects to two ends of the plate which makes for a more secure attachment. The Calibre 3135 does not have the same meticulous finishing as a Patek Phillipe or Jaeger LeCoultre, absent are such elegant features as swan’s neck regulators or micro rotors, but the Rolex movement is designed for robustness and thus, they are very durable. The calibre 3135 is by no means a good example of craft, but it is a marvel of engineering, construction and design. This movement is designed to withstand rough use according to military specifications, its massive 28.5mm diameter and 6mm thickness allows the use of sturdier, more robust parts with higher tolerances. Furthermore, the design allows for ease of maintenance. This translates to extreme durability, reliability and stability. The Rolex calibre 3135 is a chronometer champion that combines accuracy, long term stability and robustness into one movement.

NOTE:- I've also sent you e-mail which shows pictures and details of the 3135 calibre movement.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
WOW -

Thanks again Dave. Will let you know how it goes.

Charlie

posted
Have you or anybody ever seen one pit like the case on this one? Cannot imagine what did it.

posted
Hi

Stainless steel protects itself with a coat of oxidation which forms almost the instant
it is exposed to oxygen , it "stains less" because of this but is not stain proof or erosion proof under the right conditions . If you get something on the surface that will both seal off the oxygen while attacking the coat of oxidation it can then attack the unprotected metal beneath with ease ,lets say long term contact with fatty acids . I can see that maybe happening in the protected areas that might trap oils in dirt like between the lugs or under the lip of the caseback before the gasket ring but I cannot imagine why the clasp would be so badly attacked (If that is what I see in the photo) unless that is made of low grade stainless . That said, I subjected my first Rolex Sub to over 20 years of outright abuse and extreme conditions and it never pitted anywhere.

Posts: 110 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana U.S.of A. | Registered: April 29, 2006