Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Depollier Khaki case with Waltham watch inside "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert

posted
does anyone own one of those neat old Depollier WWI style watch cases with the watch (usually a Waltham) inside? How does the case actuall work, anyway? It's been so long since I've had one, I can't remember how they actually came apart. If memory serves, it is a two-piece case, with a threaded bezel ring that has a gasket for further moisture protection. The crystal is extra-thick glass. The crown, as I recall, also screws down. Does it completely screw off the case to reveal an inner crown which is used for setting and winding? Or does the Depollier crown also serve to set and wind the watch once it has been screwed loose from its threads? Any help would be appreciated. I am writing a story for the NAWCC on the history of Depollier and at some point I want to describe how their most famous case actually worked.

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
posted
Bruce,
I am so excited that you are writing an article on Mr. Depollier.. I have been attempting to research him for years... He just disappeared in the 20's. He was extremely innovative as you know and actually produced the first "Oyster Case" with a locking crown. It was first patented in 1916.. I have been told that he didn't protect his patent properly and Hans Wisdorf the founder of Rolex actually stole it.
This model was known as the "Field and Marine" as you will see in the advertisement I will post.
Fred Friedberg did a nice little story on this model in his book... "THE ILLINOIS WATCH" "THE LIFE AND TIMES OF A GREAT AMERICAN WATCH COMPANY" He also has some very nice advertisements that Waltham did in there... I'm sure Fred would be glad to help you anyway that he can...
This has got to be the highest engineered case ever up to it's time. It has a threaded bezel and back that were locked and unlocked with a special Key... I sold my key to Fred a few months ago but I'm sure that he can send you a picture... It also had a solid 14K gold plug in the back of the case to help keep the temperature down. This was used to keep the oil from gumming up... It was tested under water as well as up to 34,610 in an airplane... Not many of these gold plugs survived... Most of these models that are left do not have the plug in them... I sold Fred one that still has the plug with the serial number a few months ago and I'm sure he would let you use it... Waltham advertised these but they also came with Illinois and Elgin Movements... These were the toughest watches made and came with "Unbreakable Unexplosive Glass Crystals"
The Crown would lock down when pushed in and turned... When you backed it off this position you could wind and set it....
These came in a few different variations... I had a Sterling Silver one that was sold to Philip Welsh... Phil has every variation and knows a lot of history...
In my opinion Mr. Depollier was way beyond everyone else when it came to his designs and engineering.. He also made the "Khaki" and "Utility" watches hoping to keep the demand for men to wear wrist watches after the war.. The Utility ad shows a soldier on the page but then shows how Men can use these watches for Hunting, Fishing, Golf, Work, etc.
Well Bruce I hope I didn't go to long... Let me know If I can help at all...
Take Care
John

Posts: 98 | Location: Oviedo, Florida USA | Registered: June 13, 2005
posted
The Field And Marine Ad

posted
dw

posted
dw2

posted
dw3

posted
Her's a Utility ad

posted
here's a utility watch

posted
utility crown

posted
ubk

posted
ucs

IHC Member 1550
posted
I just gost this Elgin with the Depollier Khaki case and crown....love these style watches. I would love to see more. Anyone?

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
posted
Here's mine.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Member 1550
posted
What a beutiful example....some guys have it all! ha ha. FD

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010