Internet Horology Club 185
The Elusive GP "Gyromatic" 39J...FOUND!

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/8373983387

September 15, 2014, 22:20
Tom Dunn
The Elusive GP "Gyromatic" 39J...FOUND!
I have been after one of these for quite some time, but they carry a premium price due to the quality and marque.

Couple weeks ago I found this one...was in bad need of a crystal has lite oxidation on dial and the back has some ugly scratch markes from some careless individual with the wrong tool trying to open. Does have the correct marked GP crown as well. Due to all this I got a good price on it.

Put a new crystal on it and that alone made a world of difference, new skarkskin strap and it's ready to wear, times out great. I'm guessing 1959-1962 vintage. Not bad for an old Gyro?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com
September 15, 2014, 23:01
Bruce Stewart
This is my GP that I rescued from a gold-scrapper shop. It was bouncing around in a box of junk watches minus its strap and crown. I got it for almost nothing because it was not running. When I got it home, I found it was not running because the hour and minute hands were touching one and other. I corrected the problem and it started ticking...YIPPEEE!!!!!

September 15, 2014, 23:02
Bruce Stewart
Here is the movement of my "practically-free" GP. I think the watch is circa 1952, or there abouts. Not sporting 39 jewels, though, like Tom's :-(

September 16, 2014, 00:50
Tom Dunn
Nice watch, Bruce! IMO better quality than a Rolex.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com
September 16, 2014, 01:14
Bruce Stewart
Don't you just love it when you get a bargain? :-))
September 16, 2014, 09:09
Dave Turner
Bruce, you lucky dog!
Beautiful watch.

Dave Turner
September 17, 2014, 11:03
Peter Kaszubski
Tom pardon my ignorance but why you call it elusive when I see few of them on ebay any given day?