Internet Horology Club 185
Ball Trainmaster wristwatch

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/8323941487

December 17, 2014, 11:28
Ralph Hopper
Ball Trainmaster wristwatch
I have this Ball Trainmaster from the 1960's but really can't find too much info about it or these in general. I have gleaned a bit of info from a couple of posts here on 185 but still not very detailed. I'm wondering if anyone can shed more light on this one in particular.

It is the manual wind Canadian 24hr dial. Appears to be correct in terms of photos that I've seen. But, since I don't have a back removal tool, is there a way to determine the jewel count? It could be either the 21J or 25J movement and I've seen reference to both on the manual wind watch. The serial number on the back case is 225326 if that helps.

I'm guessing the stainless steel band may be original to the watch but don't really know.

It is running great. Wound it and over 24 hours it is out maybe 10 seconds.

Any help appreciated.

December 18, 2014, 15:18
Peter Kaszubski
show us the movement.
December 18, 2014, 16:48
Ralph Hopper
Peter, wish I could but as I noted I don't have a back removal tool. Is there a way that I can get the back off without that tool? Don't really want to fiddle with this and potentially cause damage but understood that it needs a tool to unscrew the back.

FWIW, I have another that came to me with the back off and appears identical to this one. It says 25J and 2821.
December 18, 2014, 18:07
Peter Kaszubski
get hex nut that fit the back crazy glue and adjustable wrench apply the glue to nut place on back twist and the back is open to remove the nut from case use alcohol inside the nut to dissolve the glue .

December 18, 2014, 19:34
Ralph Hopper
Thanks for the suggestion, Peter, but don't think I'm quite prepared to try that. Frown
December 18, 2014, 20:08
Dave Turner
I've done that Ralph,
It's easy to do and leaves no trace of residue when you're finished.

Dave Turner