• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Zenith Automatic Chronograph Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I would like to find out about a Zenith El Primero Self Winding Case Ref 20.0250.400 The seller of this watch says that it is brand new, yet it was MFG in 1992?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180080623532

Posts: 5 | Location: Carmel, New York USA | Registered: February 22, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Jeffrey,

That sure is a beauty. In the auction questions it appears the seller is claiming it is a new-old-stock heretofore unsold watch. I see some "puckers" inside the leather band which may simply be from it having been buckled for so long. I'd be tempted to ask for an outside case-back image.

Auction image of a really beautiful example...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Why do you want an outside case back image? I have a picture of the back of the case, It is stainless steel!

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I understand, but your number one question revolves around whether or not the watch truly is an unused example. The condition of the outside of that case-back will go a long way toward proving it, one way or the other. Would you really buy a watch, particularly one like this without being absolutely certain of condition?

Think about it my friend.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
My two cents worth: A look at both ends of the back of the strap would be good also. If the watch has been worn the leather exposed to skin would most likely discolor somewhat, and the hole end that wraps over the buckle end would be a lighter color. I know that watches I bough new and wore a few times, especially those with brown leather bands, have a darker color on the part which was against my skin. It's way out of my league price-wise anyhow.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
here is the back of the casing before cleaning

posted
here is another picture, after cleaning

posted
Jeffrey,
welcome aboard.

While the Zenith you show looks to be in excellent condition there are a couple of areas I'd like to point out. (Just my own personal opinion)

1 - The sheen of the gold plated top bezel doesn't appear to have a sparkling lustre to it. I've looked at you picture under a magnifier glass on my PC screen and I'm a bit suspicious there may be very slight surface scratches on the bezel and top lugs in a number of places. This could certainly indicate it may have been lightly worn.

2 - In my opinion the inside of the leather strap indicates the strap has certainly been worn.

Overall it looks to be a very nice watch, so you'll have to be the judge of what what you think it's being sold as and what you're willing to bid for it.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Question can this watch be easily fixed by a reputable watch maker ! This Zenith was MFG in 1992 ?

posted
Jeffrey,
yes, watches of this quality and vintage can certainly be repaired or serviced.

I'm sure if you ever needed to have a watch of this type serviced you could get a number of recommendations from IHC members who may live in your region. E.G. our own Rich Kuhn is certainly very reliable and reasonable.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004