• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Cushion "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have been told that this model of the Cushion was put together and sold several years after the original late 1920's models. The Wadsworth case is marked 10k gold filled and appears to be green gold; sometimes I have a difficult time distinguishing between yellow and green gold. The lugs are very short and the ends of the band rub against the edge of the case. I think the original Cushion had longer lugs.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Here's the 986A movement.

posted
Here's the inside of the back. Does the "S" stamped below the serial number mean that this case is gold filled over silver?

posted
It seems there were far fewer of these than the original 1920's model.

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
The dial may be original, or perhaps an older redial, but it is definitely from the post-1935 period, given the font used for "Hamilton".

Adam

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
John:

Your Cushion was made between 1940 and 1949 and is vermeil (gold over silver) - that's what the "S" stands for in the back of your case. You can find more information on the watch by going to my site which Tom was kind of enough to direct you to.

Regarding information not on my site, your watch is likely "yellow" gold as opposed to "green" gold. Hamilton records do not show the Wadsworth Cushion in "green." And yes, the lugs on your watch are shorter than the earlier Cushions. These "war" Cushions are more similar to the Cushion "B" (see link by clicking on "Cushion B") which Hamilton introduced in 1930 though there are distinct differences between the two.

I currently have four examples and have a great appreciation for them.

Wear it in health.

Merry Christmas,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
posted
I've come across one of these WWII watches recently. The only difference (other than cosmetic) I can see is that mine does not have the "S" mark under the case number.

The watch is an excellent runner. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated, but Will looks like he has said it all.

Happy Holidays Everyone,
gatorcpa

Posts: 19 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: September 07, 2006
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Evan:

Is your watch stamped on the outside back section of the case? If "Wadsworth" is stamped there, it would be a War era Cushion, only not in vermeil. If Wadsworth is not stamped on the outside back case, it is likely a Cushion "B" model which was introduced in 1930. You can find an example on my site by clicking on this link - Cushion "B". My example has an aviation dial but you can see a white example (the link can be found on the Cushion "B" page near the picture) that has the more typical Cushion "B" dial.

Your dial is more akin to the war era Cushions but without seeing the outside back case markings, it's hard to know since your pictures are not clear and it's hard to make out the specifics of the watch.

Regards,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
posted
Thanks much Will, for your response.

The case is definitely stamped "Wadsworth 10K Gold Filled" on the outside. I had thought it was vermeil, as there a small amount of wear-through on the bezel and the metal underneath is very shiny and white. You almost need a loupe to see it, but it should show up when I take a "macro" picture.

Take care, and Happy New Year to all
Evan

Posts: 19 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: September 07, 2006