Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What's so amazing about this Bulova watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Thanks Tom, Lindburg used an Omega ww during his trans-Atlantic flight. I wonder what model it was?

Correction: Wrong flight! I got that mixed up with Apollo 11 Astronauts all wore Omega Speedmaster. Confused Big Grin

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
posted
Tom. WOW! No I have not seen this news article before and had wondered when the presentation was made. Whilst is does not state that a watch was also presented, one could certainly assume that both the $1000 prize money and the watch were indeed presented at the same time.

Is it also coincidence that he was presented with the watch and $$$ upon his return on the USS Memphis, the same voyage back from France that Richard Blythe (Gordon Bells Great uncle - current owner of the watch) was also on.

Makes you wonder if CAL gave the watch to Blythe there and then or years later.....

I'll add the news clipping to the Lone Eagle's Bulova watch article on the myBulova site as it certainly has relevance.

Many thanks for this bit of important information.

Stephen.

Posts: 97 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: April 28, 2007
posted
Oh and Wayne, I have read a number of articles that state the watch worn by CAL on his historic flight was in fact a Longiness.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Again, I have never tried to research information on a Bulova before, but thought I would post what I find.

This is from the Zanesville Signal in Zanesville Ohio 10/25/1929.

zane

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is from The Daily Northwestern 08/30/1929 Oshkosh WI

osh

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is from the same paper & jeweler as the last, it has a copy of what is suppose to be a note from CAL.

Not knowing anything about this other than what I have read here, I wonder that since the ads say the Lone Eagle was created in honor of CAL it would have been named so after his flight so odds are they would not have had one to present to him days after his flight. But I would assume since they were making money of his name & image I am sure they compensated him & more than likely gave him at least one of the Lone Eagles.

Also the little note they show in the ad from CAL congratulates Bulova & not the other way around.

Anyway that is my completely uneducated guess.

Tom

oshk

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is a large image of the note in the ad.

osh03

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is another article that mentions the award from Bulova & CAL to pay taxes. It is from The Evening State Journal and Lincoln Daily News (Lincoln, Nebraska)06/18/1927

lin

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is from the Galveston Daily News 06/11/1927, it is about R. Blythe meeting CAL on the Memphis.

gal

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Tom,

Thanks for your research. That is great info. Bulova sure took advantage of the CAL name. Three series of watches in his honor. The first series, a modification of the existing Conqueror cut-corner c1927. In 1928/29/30 the tonneau shaped Lone Eagle series II was still available from jewelers in ads until c1932. Bulova also produced variations of the Lone Eagle tonneau shaped cases, with changes to the bezel during the 1928/29/30 period, that causes confusion today for Bulova buyers & sellers. In 1931 to 1934 Bulova produced the stepped case Lone Eagle series III that sold in three different case variations. In addition Bulova also produced several other stepped case models with diffent bezels & different names. The Bulova ads located on myBulova.com web site are the only reliable way to discern the different bezel configurations. Stephen Ollman has done a yeoman job on the myBulova web site. Stephen has also been making some great posts on ihs185.

Tom brown's research talent is greatly appreciated & look forward to more.

Wayne

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Wayne, as I said I don't really know anything about Bulova's or CAL so I may be posting old information.

One thing I noticed that even before his flight CAL was referred to in the press as the Lone Eagle. I assume due to the fact he planned on making the trip alone.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Just another ad for the Lone Eagle. From Athens Messenger, Athens Ohio 06/19/1927

ath

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Tom,
Just in the past month, I bought two of the 1928/29/30 tonneau shaped bulova watches advertised on eBay as "Lone Eagle". It appears I didn't know much about Bulova watches either. One watch turned out to be slick bezel tonneau with the name "The Governor" found in The Complete Price Guide To Watches, page 714, bottom left watch (see 1st pic below). The Governor is listed at $150-$350-$400, considerably higher than the Lone Eagle. I really lucked out!

The other Bulova tonneau watch I bought & didn't care what it's name was & I bought it knowing the hands were not correct & the AE10 movement was not correct. But I thought once I find the name Bulova gave to the watch, I would bring it back to it's correct configuration (see Bulova tonneau below in next post).

I am still trying to identify other tonneau shaped Bulova with engraving pretty close to the Bulova Richard.

The problem I have is that I bought these two watches before I did any research. I could not identify the watches by name while the auction was in progress. I checked all of the Bulova ads of the period at myBulova.com. Stephen Ollman has provided his help & found the picture & ad for the Richard. I also found another pic of the unidentified watch.

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Bulova Tonneau Unidentified

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Bulova Richard. Notice the bezel top & bottom bezel are blank.

posted
Tom, where have you been for the past 5 years of my life??? These are some great finds. Did you have local copies of the images or have they been sourced from somewhere? I've literally been scouring the web for the past 5 years looking for information like this and have never seen any of these. Brilliant work!

The letter referred to in the above ad is an axtract from the full version shown on the http://www.mybulova.com/lone-eagles-bulova-watch page of which I have a copy of the an original.

The watch shown in the last ad (without any markings) doesn't look much like any of the Lone Eagle series of watches and doesn't even have any Bulova markings, so I wonder if the jeweler for this ad 'W.B.Drake' took some liberties in advertising fake Lone Eagles or is the drawing just a real bad version of the Series II Tonneau Lone Eagle. I think maybe the latter as the ad also mentions the letter and box that I have seen.

Many many thanks for sharing!

Stephen
myBulova.com

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Wayne, those are nice looking watches. I have always like the looks of Bulova watches. I have a few that I have picked up over the years but I don't really know what models they are or anything about them.

Stephen, if you would like the entire page of the newspapers these articles came from I can email them to you. Most of them are PDF files, to post them here I open them in Photoshop & then crop them down to the article & save as a jpeg.

I belong to several different pay subscription search engines for papers etc.

As to the difference in the ads, I had also noticed that the watches looked different. I had wondered if the local jewelers just used a stock image they had just figuring it would get people in the store to see the real article.

Just let me know if I can get you something or if you have other things you want me to search for.

I found several other articles that mention CAL & Richard Blythe but they did add anything to the discussion here but maybe you would want them.

Tom

posted
For others reading this particular forum topic here are the 3 watches that often get incorrectly identified due their similar shape.

Richard

Govenor

Series II Tonneau Lone Eagle

posted

Posts: 106 | Location: Widnes, United Kingdom | Registered: April 02, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
$50 in 1927 would have been equal to $623 today! Pretty good chunk of change!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Yes, that Lone Eagle slide has gone unsold for a few weeks now.

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
posted
Certainly did Stephen...I'm saving my pennies so I can buy it one day!

There is a similar watch ad (they we mayall have seen before of the myBulova site: http://www.mybulova.com/sites/...e_ads/1927-AD-LE.jpg