• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gruen 21 Help Please "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am giving this watch to my brother for Christmas. I would like an original Gruen box and outer box for the watch. What Gruen box would be considered original to this watch?

Thanks,

Adam

Posts: 311 | Location: Near Youngstown, Ohio USA | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Adam
I can,t answer your question but that sure is a beautiful watch your brother will be very happy. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Adam,

Your watch will make a neat gift. It's from the early 1950s, and by that time, Gruen was using a long flat blue leather(?) box, or a bright red plastic one with the traditional cuff style holder. I have both, so let me know what you'd like. I can post pics tomorrow.

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Beautiful, striking watch, Adam.

Well done, Cary.

'The wonder of the IHC185'

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
posted
Thanks everyone!

Cary,

I would be interested in the Blue box. If you could send me a picture and a price, that would be great!

Thanks,

Adam

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Adam, aren't we long, lost brothers, separated by birth and different mothers? Confused Wink

I would be PROUD to be your brother with a gift like this one under the tree, Adam! Sadly, I lost my one and only brother in 1979 to cancer, but like to think he'd have loved to received something like this wonderful watch from me. You should be proud of yourself for the thought and effort.

Kudos to Cary for coming thorough....again! Smile

HIGHEST regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Cary,
Does the gruen in this thread have a name and is the dial on this beauty original?
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
posted
Tony,

This watch might have been named, but if so, I don't know it. Many of the 21 jewel Cincinnati made watches (335 in mens, 275 in ladies) were marketed with a series name and a number. In 1949 there was a "Jubilee" series (to celebrate Gruen's 75th anniversary) and the watches were named "Jubilee 1", "Jubilee 2" and so on. In 1951, there was a "Star" series, with the same naming system.

As to whether this particular watch was part of one of those series, or if it had a more traditional name, I just don't know.

I believe the blue dial to be a refinish, albeit a very nice one.

And here is a pic of the box that is now on it's way to Adam.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
Cary,

Thanks again!

The dial is a re-finish. I just had it done. My brothers favorite color is blue and I have never had a dial re-finished any other way than original. I figured this would be a good time to experiment.

Adam

Picture of Michael Dias
posted
Adam, That will make a very, very nice gift for Christmas.

This year I presented each of my four adult children with vintage Hamilton watches for their birthdays. My three daughters received pre '40 wrist watches with white gold cases and my son a 992. Each were delighted to receive some working history as a gift.

Happy Holidays to all 185.
Mike

Posts: 72 | Location: Benicia, California USA | Registered: May 10, 2006