Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

17 Jewel Helbros Basket Case "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
This is a watch that was given to me about a week ago. It was in a box with a few other wrist watches, all of which were broken. This watch needed a band, a stem, a crown, and a new crystal. I found a stem in my inventory that matched the broken one, then added an over-sized crown for ease of winding. Instead of replacing the crystal, I spent about an hour hand polishing the original. The gold-clad case (a fairly thick overlay is evident) was caked with green waxy crud. It took a full 1/2 hour in the ultrasonic cleaner to clean it up. The movement would not run, but a tiny application of Mobius 941 to the tips of the pallet jewels got her to fire up. The band is genuine crocodile and cost under $10 from a Thailand seller on eBay. I tried to find the model name, year of production, and approximate value from various sources, but could find nothing. I am guessing it is probably from the mid-forties. If anyone can help me with further information, I would be most appreciative. I am sure this is not a valuable piece, but I love the mechanical, almost industrial look of the case design. Should be fun to wear every now and then.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
VERY nice job rescuing another one from the 'bone yard'! Smile

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
One screw-up on my part was when cleaning the dial. I thought the color difference on the inner part of the dial was dirt, but it was actually a varnish-like coating that had worn away. I tried to make it all one color by cleaning it with alcohol and a q-tip, but in doing so, I managed to wipe away the left bottom leg of the "H" in Helbros. Boy was I ticked off. Needless to say, I decided to clean no further :-O

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Whoops! Eek

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
great watch with fancy lugs we learn from our mistakes.
Still the watch looks good after the oops

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Very nice Bruce,

Love to see these 'salvations'!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011