Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Expansion band "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1063
posted
Does anyone know when the metal expansion band first made an appearance and does anyone wear/like them?

Dana

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
A improper fit one will definitely Destroy the lugs on a great watch. So to answer your question Never do I install one on any thing better than a $5.00 quartz watch. So the last time installed one on a watch of mine was about 10 years ago when I started collecting / wearing Fine collectable watches.

Period !!!!

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Hey Dana, I don't know when they were invented,but I have been using them since the early 60s. I have seen wrist watches from the 40s with what looked like original expansion bands,but I'm not sure. My wrist is larger,close to my hand,and leather bands do not fit me well. If I adjust a leather band to fit my wrist,it has a tendency to slide up and down my arm. Expansion bands just seem to work better for me.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I have seen them on watches from as early as the '40's myself.

The photo of my Dad's Navy graduation from Great Lakes in 1943 during the war shows him wearing his Lipton Oyster wristwatch on his wrist, and it had an expansion band at the time.

I remember that old band, and it had more of a sissor link setup that pulled your arm hairs. I'm not super fond of them myself, but still wear them when the opportunity presents itself.

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002