WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

S.Kocher Co, WW Movement with American 'Coin' Dial! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Folks,
Would appreciate all and any comments on this wristwatch movement and dial ..... Nothing too outlandish though please Big Grin

I recently dug it out of my 'bits box' which contains movements previously removed from precious metal cases that were scrapped! Not by me I hasten to add, they came from the estate of a watchmaker who had traded for over 60 years.

Apologies for the images not being too clear, it's signed S.Kocher Co, - 17 Jewels - Adjusted.
The movement is very slim at 2.5mm and has 'incablock' shock protection. Balance is 1x piece 'mono-metallic'.

It was the dial which caught my eye, as it appears to be an American coin, but being a 'Brit' not sure what it is based on, or typical age (20c piece?).
The dial is .40mm thick, and appears to be a 2x piece construction, possibly a nickel face on a brass base which has the dial feet. It doesn't test out as silver at any rate.

I've tried 'Googling' the name, which raised a few links to Cartier watches and the like fitted with a 'Kocher' movement, but nothing on the maker. Also searched the NAWCC archives to no avail and nothing in any of my Shugart books.
Has anyone come across this maker or style of dial before?
Best regards to all,
John Woolsey

S.Kocher Movement

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
S.Kocher American 'Coin' dial.

S.Kocher American 'Coin' Dial.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
John,
The coin is a knockoff of a US $20 gold coin.
The movement looks to be a Peseau .They made some thin movements that favor this one.
Thge name on the movement is the importer or seller.They are too numerous to believe.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Hi Julian,
Many thanks for the comments on the movement and dial, much appreciated.
Do you know if 'S Kocher Co' are an American company (retailers)? I've never come across them before.
I've had a good look over the movement again and can see no ID marks anywhere, so going to compare plates to all those shown in my Bestfit, AS and Ebauche parts books, will head for the Peseaux diagrams too. There is a similarity to some Seconda movements too.
Will let you know of any that are close.

Would a 'knock-off' of an American coin such as this actually be legal?
I would think if anyone tried such a similar stunt in the UK, the perpetrators would find themselves on "an extended all expenses paid holiday" at 'Her Majestey's Pleasure'......PDQ! Smile

Any ideas on the style of hands that would have been used?

Best regards
John Woolsey

posted
JOHN,
I think the coin only resembles a US coin.If it were exctly like a real coin it might be a diferent story.I don't see the word 'dollar' on the coin.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Thanks Julian, never thought of that, being unfamiliar with American coinage it never ocurred to me.

Best regards
John