Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Identify Gruen Watch? Information? Value? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Saw this Gruen watch. Looked in books and couldn't find any information. I haven't seen this type of case or dial. Anyone have information about this? Any idea on value or worth? Help appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
posted
Mark,
it looks pretty nice. Do you have any other views, inside case, movement etc.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Actually right now no other pics. Any ideas, though? The lines on the lugs I haven't seen, as well as the sllek design of the case.

posted
Mark,

This may well be a contract case, but it could be a Gruen factory design. The movement is most likely the 15 jewel caliber 400, dating from the mid to late 1930s.

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
What is a contract case? Also, is this rare or is there any value with this watch? If I am allowed to ask? Thanks for replying.

posted
Mark,

A contract case is an after-market case manufactured by someone other than the maker of the movement. More common in pocketwatches, but not too rare in wristwatches, especially during the '30s when people either kept older watches longer, and had them re-cased to replace a worn out case, or melted down a solid gold case and replaced it with a new less expensive one.

You need to decide value for yourself. Since it's on eBay, throw in a bid you can live with. Maybe others will do the same, maybe not. That's what will ultimately determine it's value.

Regards again,

Cary

posted
I am attaching a picture of the movement of the watch. I know Cary said it was a 440 movement, but it doesn't show the number. Does the picture give any more information about the history, information, or value?

posted
Lastly, the only identification that looks like it might be numbers on the movement looks like "GXC". That is the only other identifying ID other than the serial number on movement.

posted
Mark,

GXC is just the Gruen import code. The caliber number is stamped on the pillar plate, below the balance wheel. As I guessed above, it's the 400 caliber, but it's a 17 jewel version instead of 15.

Is the inside of the caseback marked "Gruen" and does it have any numbers stamped inside?

Cary

posted
The only thing stamped on the inside of the case are these numbers:126881 and on the back of the case it says Hbasemetal. I looked near the balance wheel(space between) where the numbers usually are and there is nothing. The serial number on ovement is:2-377365. It actually says Gruen Watch Co. Also marked Switzerland and coronuma and unadjusted. Thanks.

posted
As I suspected, this watch is cased in an aftermarket, contract case, which will serve to limit it's value somewhat. Gruen always sold complete watches, so this has been recased as some point. As I said, the 400 caliber number is stamped below the balance wheel, as in under it. You might have to take out the balance to see it, but I assure you, it's a 400.

No substantial value here. The movement is worth something if in good condition, but as a complete watch there is no collectibility to it, so it's worth what someone wants to give to have a nice looking vintage watch to wear.