• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watch Storage "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
May seem like a silly question but thought I'd ask anyway. I checked the previous posts related to storage and didn't see this addressed.

I am thinking about storing some recently serviced watches and wanted to know the best method for storage. Are there any drawbacks to storing watches in plastic bags, plastic containers, etc., presuming that there is no moisture within a watch, bag or box? I have many stored in the leatherette portfolios that holds 20 watches, have a nylon or acetate separator and zip closed. These open like a book and hold 10 watches on each side. I keep these in an upright position almost always so as not to put weight on the cases, crystals, etc. I have no idea if I am doing this correctly or if this will be detrimental or not over the course of time.

What is the appropriate method for watch storage? What do others use and suggest? Recommendations? Might as well throw in any cautions I should be aware of too!

Thanks for your time. Smile

Barbara

Wink

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
While we are at it, do you store wristwatches differently than pocketwatches? As a PW collector who has only recently started picking up some wristwatches I am curious.

For the watches I keep at home I use an airtight container with dessicant. [At the bank, I trust (naively perhaps) to the climate control in their vault]. I would think that if you are going to keep a watch in a sealed plastic bag you should have a small packet of dessicant in each, since the humidity of the trapped air will otherwise change with temperature. For those of us in arid climates this may not be as critical, but in humid climates it could be much more important.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Jerry,
Your right on the money with using dessicant. Beware of fire safes. The product that makes them survive fires also releases moisture. Always use something to trap the humidity.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003