• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

valencia wristwatch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was recently given a small box of watches from my grandfather. One of the watches that I came across was one of my grandmothers. The semi frustrating thing is that even my local jeweler couldn't find anything relating to this watch. He did tell me that there is an actual sapphire on the winding stem. Beyond that, I know nothing. Hopefully, somebody knows something about this watch. Thanks for any help in advance!

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Second picture of face alone.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Inside back of the watch.

posted
And lastly, the inner workings. Everything appears very clean and it will work for short periods of time. One of my biggest questions is whether or not this is a watch that I should take and have cleaned up or not. Again, thanks for anything that anyone can come up with!

posted
Edward,

This watch is what is known in watch trading circles as a "Miscellaneous Swiss". There were tons of these moderate quality movements imported into the US during the 1920s and '30s, usually cased here, using contract cases, such as yours, and with generic (but exotic sounding) names. I have a box full of similar pieces, with names like Windsor, Genova, Nassau and so on. They have a little bit of appeal to ladies who like to wear them as retro jewelery, but unless the cases are solid gold, they typically have pretty limited value.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
posted
That would definately explain why I haven't been able to find anything out about it. As a follow up, is there anywhere that I can find out a little bit more about it, or is this about as far as I can go with it? Just curious, but thanks for the info. That's more than I've had so far!