• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Info Please "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently picked up an Illinois wristwatch tht i would like some information on.
It is a 17j, 3/0 size in a Star case. The serial number is 4794420. The second hand is missing as well as the crown stem and sleeve. It runs when wound with a bench key.
Can anyone tell me the grade and age?

Thanks,

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
A scan of the dial.

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
SN: 4794420

Model 4

Grade 24

Approximate Year 1926

108,670 made in 95 runs between 1915 and 1930

Posts: 95 | Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida USA | Registered: January 16, 2006
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
Note that the dial says "Illinois Movement." This would imply a recased watch since factory dials were never marked that way. This was done quite commonly in the 1940s and 1950s. There were any number of old watches around with worn-out gold-filled cases, but perfectly good movements. Jewelers offered replacement cases into which an old movement could be installed to make a 'new' watch. The cases typically came with dials, which were marked with the name of the watch company. Manufacturers complained because these were thus represented as their own watches when they were actually new cases, so case makers started marking dials "Hamilton Movement," Illinois Movement" or whatever. At least this was technically accurate.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
I believe this movement falls in the "generic" period when all the movements were cased by jewelers. Were the movements furnished with dials and hands by the factory? If they were would this not limit the case selection for a particular movement/dial combination? Confused Confused

Joe