Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton hartman ca. 1953 hinged lugs "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
here is a nice Hamilton watch the Hartman it rates 2 stars in the price guide,these were made in 1953 and sold for 175.00 when new.

The case is 14k with hinged lugs and is a big case .these have a 2 tone dial .

The movement is a 748 18 jewel..

Should i have the dial refinshed or leave it be.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted

posted
I don't think the dial is bad, but if it bothers you then have it restored. I recommend International Dial Co. for Hamilton's as they were an original supplier to them and they do excellent work at a very reasonable price.

FYI, the Hartman was also available in 18K.

Posts: 113 | Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
posted
Samie, As the radio announcers used to say--"don't touch that dial". Yes, there is a small amount of discoloration, but the dial is nice and original. I would leave it as is.

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Leave it -- this dial has a "pearled" minute track - the little gold dots at each minute position.

Refinishers often find it difficult to re-do these correctly, and they are often left out of line on the refinished dial, or are left as pits instead of domed dots, spoiling the look forever - see pic. below.

pearled

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Samie,
Please do not have the dial refinished.
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Member 638
posted
What is the possibility of just having the hands refinished and maybe a sprucing up of the markers? That would bring it alive and yet leave the patina.

Nice watch Samie!

Mike Smile

Posts: 166 | Location: Northeastern Ohio USA | Registered: July 21, 2005
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
It appears that someone painted on some luminous material to the hands. This is not original and can be easily removed. The hands and markers can be lightly polished with Rodico. No need to refinish the dial in my opinion.

The Hartman is a very fine watch. It was also made in 18K gold, which is much rarer than 14K. I was lucky enough to find one at the Daytona regional last week.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
Here is the Hartman from the 1953 Catalog. It was also in the April 1954 Price List, but not the 1954 Catalog.

I agree with the others. Do not refinish the dial. It takes away value from all but a very damaged dial.

Don

Hartman 1953

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thank everone for the advice and nice comments and Thanks Donald for posting the original Add ,i think i will leave the dial alone and see what i can do with the hands i think after i replace the crystal it will look some better . I really like the hinged lugs on the case. Smile