Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unusual Accutrons I have known... "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Michael Sherwood
posted
Hello, I'm new to the 185 and this is my first post. I have over the years collected various Accutron 214s and 218s. I have but two left. The nice wristwatch 218 in 14Kt that is very enjoyable. The other is the inigma I place before you.

I acquired this gem in late 1999 off eBay. It appeared to be some type of mission timer that may have been used in a craft of sorts (tank, plane, spacecraft). It is housed in an aluminum case with a glass crystal that is anti-glare coated and the case allows for attachment to the right side of some console via tapped screw holes (now covered with velcro so I can move this clock from location to location).

The face, as you see it, is 24 hour with sweep second hand and high visibility white numbers and hands - no luminous paint used that I can tell. The curious thing is the three odometer-like numbers that measure elapsed 24-hour periods or, as I like to call them, elapsed-day counter. This will count from 000 to 999 and each number may be reset by inserting a small jeweler's screwdriver into any of the three holes on the case - allows you to reset only one number if you desire.

The back of the Accutron's case is normal for a 214 and the hack set is of the usual type. My conundrum is where did this thing come from and what was its purpose in life? Any ideas? I guess this could have just as easily been posted on the clock discussion board but this little fellow seemed to better fit the watch category.

Thanks for anything you can assist in identifying the use of this functional, accurate, and very compelling artifact. Thanks.

Mike

214 mission

Posts: 9 | Location: Plano, Texas in the USA | Registered: February 02, 2007
posted
Welcome Michael,
As you will find this is a great site with a lot of knowledge. I have no idea of the origin of your accutron but It's a nice one. Thanks for showing it.
Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
I have a very similar Hamilton 505 Electric, and have seen two others just like it. The Hamiltons do not have the added indicators but are otherwise very much like your Accutron. These were made for military use, but unfortunately I don't know specifically what application they were used for. The Hamiltons are a bit different in that they did not house a normal battery. A wire was soldered to the cell lead, obviously to be connected to a larger or remote battery pack. The plastic case has a bolt attachment on the back for mounting, rather than on the side like yours.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
That Hamilton looks very similar - undoubtedly, its function must have been similar. From my observation of the Accutron, it has the case with screw holes to secure it to a vehicle or equipment instrument panel - as an after market install I suppose.

With the anti-glare coating on the mineral crystal, I think this watch/clock lived in some cockpit and provided the driver/flyer/operator with time and elapsed day feedback.

Thanks for your input Rene.

posted
I have reinstalled my little Accutron on the side of one of my radios. I took a better picture and perhaps this will jog some additional memories concerning this little guy.

Perhaps, since this doesn't have a wrist strap or a pocket fob, it would be best to post this on the clock site. Thanks for any additional thoughts concerning the history of this unit you may have.

Note: It has been suggested that this is a NASA version with the 24 hour face. This makes a lot of sense as the cockpit of a plane usually had a much larger Elgin/Hamilton panel clock. A spacecraft or satellite would be cramped and require a smaller timer. I doubt this was the primary mission clock anyway - rather a backup timer.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Not necessarily NASA. Any time dial that shows 24 hour time can be used for any government use that works by zulu time (GMT). I used to send and receive telegraphs using zulu time, and that's what I used my Accutron 214 for back in the early 70's when I worked at Goodyear Atomic Corp. in Piketon Ohio. It was a uranium enrichment sister plant to the plants in Oak Ridge, so everything we did regarding the shipment of high assay uranium was scheduled and messaged by secure telex...hense the use of 'zulu' time stamping for international message work.

I found my 214 to be the best watch for that kind of work, as it was railroad approved dial (easy to read in a dark cryptography room), accurate to the second, and had a 24 hour dial for easier 'zulu' time coversion.

Wish I had one like yours with a single 24 hour dial back then. That would have made things a bit easier when 'typing on the fly', as I could have set that Accutron to true GMT and not HAVE to do the conversion! Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
You have a watch that was used in a photographic high altitude balloon. These balloons were used by the military for weather pattern observations and other military activaties. The watch was located in the camera field of the picture along with a compass and altimeter. Each time a photo was taken and sent back to the monitoring station, the data also included barometric pressure and tempreture along with the time etc

I have the camera and electonics from one of these balloons. The focal length of the lens must be several feet or more. My watch is a Hamilton.

Posts: 8 | Location: Amherst, New Hampshire | Registered: April 26, 2005
posted
Thanks! I knew it was some type of government measuring device. This makes a lot of sense. It is such a nice chronometer and as you can see, it fits my purposes perfectly!

Mike

posted
...and this is the whole reason for this wonderful site...help each other find out information about our hobby.

I'm grateful to everyone who shared insight.

Now, I'm off to buy a Hamilton model 22. I'll probably start a new thread on this one though.
Mike